Obama convention speech promises broad government role in Americans’ lives

Geee

obama-convention-speech-promises-broad-government-role-in-americans-livesDaily Caller:

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — President Barack Obama‘s 2012 Democratic National Convention speech asked voters to embrace a planned economy where government leaders would set goals for large swathes of the economy.

“I’m asking you to rally around a set of goals for your country — goals in manufacturing, energy, education, national security, and the deficit; a real, achievable plan that will lead to new jobs, more opportunity, and rebuild this economy on a stronger foundation,” he declared.

But Obama didn’t promise a rapid benefit from an expanded government.

“I won’t pretend the path I’m offering is quick or easy. … It will take more than a few years for us to solve challenges that have built up over decades,” he said, implicitly acknowledging the public’s skepticism about his government-focused economic policies after almost four years of record deficits and unemployment, declining wages and shrinking wealth.

In fact, he did not mention his greatest success in expanding government, the health care law, perhaps because of its continued unpopularity.

The latest unemployment data is slated for release the morning after his speech, Aug. 7, and may show another uptick from the official rate of 8.3 percent.

The president’s speech amped even up the tone of continued crisis by offering an alarming picture of the global climate.Scissors-32x32.png