Villaraigosa Makes Controversial Vote Call to Put God, Jerusalem Back in Platform

Geee

villaraigosa-makes-controversial-vote-call-to-put-god-jerusalem-back-in-platformPJMedia:

The Democratic National Convention opened this evening with a vote to update this year’s party platform to add God and Jerusalem back into the document.

Former Ohio Gov. Ted Strickland, citing his past as a Methodist pastor, offered the amendments to the platform after Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, chairman of the convention, gaveled in the session.

Villaraigosa needed a two-thirds voice vote to adopt the amendments, and asked for votes three times before deciding that the yeas had it. The mayor looked flustered after the second vote and was given advice by a woman who walked onstage before calling for the third vote.

The yeas and the nays gave equally loud shouts of their votes. Boos were heard in the hall on the adoption of the amendments.Scissors-32x32.png

Jerusalem Debacle at the DNC: Whither the Jewish Vote?

I was both elated and scared when I heard the “nays” and “boos” emanating from the Democratic National Convention floor Wednesday as a pathetic Antonio Villaraigosa desperately tried to take votes amending the Democratic platform on “God” and “Jerusalem” — elated because I was watching a bogus public dumb show come apart, at least temporarily, at the seams, but scared because I was staring, again at least temporarily, into the gaping yaw of the 1930s.

For those fleeting seconds, I realized that, yes, it could also happen here, because, make no mistake about it, those copious boos were not for “God” (except, perhaps, for a few scattered nitwits), but for Israel. A sizable and serious claque on the Democratic National Convention floor was shouting and applauding against the Jews.

Back when I was a kid, when I used to see the Auschwitz numbers on the arms of the nurses in my doctor father’s office, I would wonder how something that horrible could happen. It was beyond my childhood imagination. No longer, unfortunately. Not that the Democratic Party is the equivalent of the Nazi Party, even remotely. I won’t indulge in that game. But those boos, taken with the overall theme of the convention — that we all belong to the government — are chilling. That people of color are often the ones being seduced by this garbage is even more depressing to this ex-civil rights worker. Where, oh where, is Martin Luther King?Scissors-32x32.png

http://pjmedia.com/rogerlsimon/2012/09/06/jerusalem-debacle-at-the-dnc/

After three votes, Dems put Jerusalem, God back into party platform

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Democrats on Wednesday reinstated language in their party platform recognizing Jerusalem as the capital of Israel, but only after an unclear vote in which as many delegates appeared to oppose the change as support it.

The party also added the word "God" back into the party's decree, following criticism that it did not include the word at all.

The additions were approved by a voice vote that seemed to split the crowd evenly and confused Los Angeles Mayor Antonio Villaraigosa, who was leading the proceedings.

Villaraigosa looked around the stage and appeared uncertain over how to proceed after an initial vote, in which the "nays" to adding Jerusalem and God back into the platform sounded just as loud as the "ayes."

Villaraigosa called for a second vote with similar results. He then called for a third voice vote, and while it sounded evenly split, he proclaimed that two-thirds of the delegates approved the changes, which sparked some grumbling in the audience.

Democratic National Committee Chairwoman Debbie Wasserman Schultz said the platform was changed to reflect Obama's views.

“The platform is being amended to maintain consistency with the personal views expressed by the President and in the Democratic Party platform in 2008," the Florida congresswoman said in a statement. "Jerusalem is and will remain the capital of Israel. The parties have agreed that Jerusalem is a matter for final status negotiations. It should remain an undivided city accessible to people of all faiths."Scissors-32x32.png

http://thehill.com/video/campaign/247747-dems-reinstate-language-on-jerusalem-god-in-their-party-platform