Romney Gets It Done

Geee

bain-man-robert-costaNational Review:

Tampa, Fla. — Mitt Romney, who has spent much of the past decade running for president, accepted the Republican nomination on Thursday, launching his general-election campaign against President Obama with a promise of competency and a pledge to shrink the federal government.

Romney’s tone was forceful, but it was not harsh or especially partisan. “I wish President Obama had succeeded, because I want America to succeed,” Romney told the crowd. “But his promises gave way to disappointment and division. This isn’t something we have to accept.”

Romney directly took on the depiction of his career as a shadowy endeavor. He did not want to run away from his past; he wanted to use his 40-minute turn on the national stage, in front of millions watching on television, to share a personal perspective.

“This is a small window for him to tell his story,” says Kevin Madden, a Romney adviser. “It is his time, away from the campaign distractions.”

Advertisement

For months, Obama has criticized Romney for his work at Bain Capital, a private-equity firm. In his remarks, Romney hit back at those charges with sharp language and blasted the president for knocking the company. As a second adviser tells me, “Romney wanted to talk about why Bain matters.”

“When I was 37, I helped start a small company,” Romney said, discussing his mid-career transition from Bain Consulting to Bain Capital. “Some of us had this idea that if we really believed our advice was helping companies, we should invest in companies; we should bet on ourselves.”

As he spoke about that period in his life, Romney narrated his ascent, and he took care to connect himself to small-business owners, not just the titans of Wall Street who invested in his enterprise. His experience, he said, may have yielded huge profits, but those profits were the product of hard work.Scissors-32x32.png

Exceptional

TAMPA, Florida -- The polls showed a dead heat as Mitt Romney took the stage Thursday night to accept the Republican Party nomination, but the polls could not begin to capture the wild chances of improbability in what is sure to be a hard-fought campaign this fall. And the man who introduced the GOP presidential nominee Thursday night was the surest testament to how miracles happen in America.

Marco Rubio wasn't supposed to be there. In May 2009, more than 15 months before the 2010 Republican primary in Florida, the GOP establishment endorsed Rubio's opponent, then-Gov. Charlie Crist, believing him to be the "safe" choice as their party's Senate nominee. Crist had statewide name recognition and a strong fundraising base, and so he was endorsed not only by the state party chairman, but also by the chairman of the National Republican Senatorial Committee. One poll showed Crist leading Rubio by 37 points.

Crist had every tangible advantage, but what he did not have was the support of the conservative grassroots, which were just then coalescing into the Tea Party. Crist had embraced President Obama's $800 billion "stimulus" plan, and his endorsements from the GOP Establishment proved to be the kiss of death, rallying a nationwide movement behind Rubio. And so the young senator who introduced Mitt Romney on the closing night of the Republican National Convention was a living embodiment of the miraculous power of the American dream.

Rubio spoke of that dream, describing how as a nine-year-old boy in 1980 he watched the GOP convention with his grandfather, a refugee from Cuba's communist dictatorship. "As a boy, I would sit on our porch and listen to his stories about history, politics and baseball while he puffed on one of his three daily Padron cigars," Rubio told the thousands of Republican delegates gathered inside the Tampa Bay Times Forum. "I don't recall everything we talked about, but the one thing I remember, is the one thing he wanted me to never forget. The dreams he had when he was young became impossible to achieve, but there was no limit to how far I could go, because I was an American."Scissors-32x32.png

http://spectator.org/archives/2012/08/31/exceptional

Romney: 'Five Steps' to a 'Better Future'

(CNSNews.com) - "I am running for president to help create a better future," Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney said Thursday night in Tampa. "A future where everyone who wants a job can find a job, where no senior fears for the security of their retirement, an America where every parent knows that their child will get an education that leads to a good job and a bright horizon.

"And unlike the president, I have a plan to create 12 million new jobs. It has five steps," he said, laying them out as follows:

"First, by 2020, North America will be energy independent by taking full advantage of our oil and coal and gas and nuclear and renewables.

"Second, we will give our fellow citizens the skills they need for the jobs of today and the careers of tomorrow. When it comes to the school your child will attend, every parent should have a choice, and every child should have a chance.

"Third, we will make trade work for America by forging new trade agreements. And when nations cheat in trade, there will be unmistakable consequences.

"Fourth, to assure every entrepreneur and every job creator that their investments in America will not vanish as have those in Greece, we will cut the deficit and put America on track to a balanced budget.

"And fifth, we will champion small businesses, America’s engine of job growth. That means reducing taxes on business, not raising them. It means simplifying and modernizing the regulations that hurt small business the most. And it means that we must rein in the skyrocketing cost of healthcare by repealing and replacing Obamacare."Scissors-32x32.png

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/romney-five-steps-better-future

Romney in convention speech: ‘Centerpiece’ of Obama campaign ‘attacking success’

TAMPA, Fla. — Mitt Romney accepted the Republican Party’s nomination for president Thursday night and offered a strong argument against President Barack Obama by saying that the “centerpiece of the president’s entire re-election campaign is attacking success.”

“Is it any wonder that someone who attacks success has led the worst economic recovery since the Great Depression?” Romney said to the crowd here at the Tampa Bay Times Forum, ending the three day-long convention. “In America, we celebrate success, we don’t apologize for it.”

The former Massachusetts governor, who paraded into the convention arena to Kid Rock’s song “Born Free,” referenced the late astronaut Neil Armstrong and declared “that when the world needs someone to do the really big stuff, you need an American.”

He opened up about his religion and his family, tearing up briefly as he described how his dad gave his mom a rose everyday, “which he put on her bedside table.”

http://dailycaller.com/2012/08/30/romney-in-convention-speech-centerpiece-of-obama-campaign-attacking-success/

ROMNEY OFFERS VISION OF HOPE FOR AMERICA, SETS HIMSELF APART FROM OBAMA

TAMPA, Fla. — “Mitt Romney needs to introduce himself to the American public,” former Mississippi Gov. Haley Barbour told Human Events shortly before Romney delivered his long-awaited acceptance speech. “The public doesn’t really know him. He’s the challenger to a sitting president and, unless you’re Ronald Reagan, not many challengers are well-known. If Gov. Romney can do that tonight, then he’s off to a good start against Obama.”

A few hours later, preceded by speakers who knew him in business, church, and the Olympics he once oversaw, and as governor of Massachusetts, the 65-year-old Romney took to the convention podium and clearly lived up to the bar set by Barbour. In the process, the former Massachusetts governor and business executive drew the sharp contrasts he needed to draw between himself and Barack Obama.

In spelling out his agenda of a no-tax, small government, and opportunity society, the businessman-candidate also reached out to social conservatives — who have long mistrusted him — vowing to protect “the sanctity of life.”

Calling on conventioneers and a national television audience to “walk with me to a better future,” Romney called on Americans to recapture what he called “the promise of America.” He spoke of freedom (including Americans’ “freedom to build a business with their hands”), opportunity, and the disappointment in Obama’s unfulfilled promises of four years ago.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/08/30/romney-offers-vision-of-hope-for-america-sets-himself-apart-from-obama/

Romney: Obama Wants to Heal the Planet, I Want to Help Your Family

Former Massachusetts Gov. Mitt Romney needed to give the speech of his life at the Republican National Convention tonight, and managed to work the crowd into a frenzy with a balanced mix of policy and the personal.

“I wish President Obama had succeeded, because I want America to succeed,” Romney said after accepting the party’s presidential nomination. “But his promises gave way to disappointment and division. This isn’t something we have to accept. Now is the moment when we can do something. And with your help, we will do something.”

Romney said that debt, division, and unemployment were not the hope and change America voted for — “not just what we wanted,” but “what Americans deserved.”

“You deserved it because during these years, you worked harder than ever before. You deserved it because when it cost more to fill up your car, you cut out movie nights and put in longer hours,” he said. “Or when you lost that job that paid $22.50 an hour with benefits, you took two jobs at 9 bucks an hour and fewer benefits. You did it because your family depended on you. You did it because you’re an American and you don’t quit. You did it because it was what you had to do.”

“Now is the moment when we can stand up and say, ‘I’m an American. I make my destiny. And we deserve better! My children deserve better! My family deserves better. My country deserves better!’”

His speech capped off a night that touched on his Mormon faith more than at any other point in the campaign, when fellow church members came before the audience to talk about kindnesses he had done for their families as a congregational leader.Scissors-32x32.png

http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2012/08/30/romney-obama-wants-to-heal-the-planet-i-want-to-help-your-family/

Romney accepts GOP nomination at RNC, vows leadership, ‘lots of jobs’

TAMPA, Fla. — Mitt Romney on Thursday accepted the nod to lead an ever-more conservative Republican Party against a powerful but politically vulnerable incumbent, telling a national audience that this year’s election comes down to jobs and President Obama’s failure to create enough of them.

In an evening filled with pomp — including chants of “U-S-A” for a host of famous American Olympians, a surprise visit and endorsement by legendary actor and director Clint Eastwood, and a moving introduction by Sen. Marco Rubio, who said his first-generation American success story is the hopeful story of a nation — the GOP sent Mr. Romney forward as the man they said is the steady leader the country needs in troubled economic times.

From the stage in Tampa Mr. Romney urged voters to take a harder look at the past four years under Mr. Obama. He said he and his fellow Republicans offer voters the chance to make a dramatic change of course.

“This president can ask us to be patient. This president can tell us it was someone else’s fault. This president can tell us that the next four years he’ll get it right,” Mr. Romney said. “But this president cannot tell us that you are better off today than when he took office.”

He was preceded by Mr. Eastwood, who mocked Mr. Obama by holding an imaginary conversation with the president, represented by an empty chair.

“When somebody does not do the job, you’ve got to let him go,” Mr. Eastwood said.

Next came Mr. Rubio, who told of living the American immigrant dream story as the son of a man, a refugee from Cuba, who used to tend a portable bar in banquet halls in order to support his family.

“He was grateful for the work he had, but that’s not the life he wanted for us,” Mr. Rubio said. “He stood behind a bar in the back of the room all those years so one day I could stand behind a podium in the front of a room.”

Republicans have made the self-made American story the dominant theme of their convention, pushing back against what they say is Mr. Obama’s philosophy that success comes from government.Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2012/aug/30/romney-election-about-jobs-obama-failures/