Off to a Strong Start

Geee

off-to-a-strong-startAmerican Spectator:

TAMPA, Florida -- At 5:40 p.m. Tuesday, when the New Jersey delegation cast all 50 of their votes for Mitt Romney, it gave the former governor of Massachusetts 1,150 votes -- six more than the 1,144 necessary for a majority -- and he at last became officially the presidential nominee of the Republican Party. Choosing a nominee is, after all, the actual purpose of the convention, but the roll call that marked the culmination of Romney's long campaign (which has been effectively continuous since 2006) was not a primetime event. Instead, TV viewers saw a night of speeches that culminated with back-to-back speeches by the candidate's wife, Ann Romney, and the keynote speaker, New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie.

It was a powerful one-two punch to cap the opening night of the Republican National Convention, which saw its first day's schedule cancelled by fears of Hurricane Isaac, the storm that turned away from Tampa and instead headed west across the Gulf of Mexico. The delayed beginning did not lessen the power of the speech by Ann Romney, who told a story of her husband's success that contradicted the narrative the liberal media have constructed about him.

"Tonight I want to talk to you about love," Mrs. Romney told the thousands of GOP delegates gathered inside the Tampa Bay Times Forum. "I want to talk to you about the deep and abiding love I have for a man I met at a dance many years ago."

Republicans in love? Whoever heard of such a thing? The media would have us believe that Republicans are soulless automatons incapable of love. At certain points during Mrs. Romney's speech, one could hear a few reporters in the Media Filing Center sarcastically mocking her words. The liberal media have spent months pushing the Obama campaign's message that the GOP is the Anti-Woman Party, but liberal journalists are scarcely able to conceal their contempt for Republican women like Ann Romney, who used her speech as an opportunity to appeal directly to women without the media filter.

"It's the moms of this nation -- single, married, widowed -- who really hold this country together," Mrs. Romney said. "We're the mothers, we're the wives, we're the grandmothers, we're the big sisters, we're the little sisters, we're the daughters." Mothers "are the best of America. You are the hope of America. There would not be an America without you."

The candidate's wife used her own biography to push back against the media's narrative of the Republican as overprivileged: "I am the granddaughter of a Welsh coal miner who was determined that his kids get out of the mines. My dad got his first job when he was six years old, in a little village in Wales called Nantyffyllon, cleaning bottles at the Colliers Arms. When he was 15, dad came to America. In our country, he saw hope and an opportunity to escape from poverty. He moved to a small town in the great state of Michigan.... My dad would often remind my brothers and me how fortunate we were to grow up in a place like America."Scissors-32x32.png

Newly Minted Republican Artur Davis Pitches Romney to Open-Minded Dems

(CNSNews.com) - Former U.S. Rep. Artur Davis of Alabama, a black Democrat-turned-Republican, thanked Republicans Tuesday night "for welcoming me where I belong."

He had a message for people of all parties: "We have a country to turn around," he told the Republican National Convention. And he described Republican presidential nominee Mitt Romney as "the most experienced executive to seek the presidency in 60 years."

Calling Romney a leader, Davis said, "He has no illusions about what makes America great, and he doesn't confuse the presidency with celebrity, or loftiness with leadership."

Davis also alluded to his support for Barrack Obama in the 2008 presidential race:

"Now, America is a land of second chances, and I gather you have room for the estimated 6 million of us who know we got it wrong in 2008 and who want to fix it," he said.

"Maybe we should have known that night in Denver that things that begin with plywood Greek columns and artificial smoke typically don't end well. Maybe the Hollywood stars and the glamour blinded us a little: you thought it was the glare, some of us thought it was a halo.Scissors-32x32.png

http://cnsnews.com/news/article/newly-minted-republican-artur-davis-pitches-romney-open-minded-dems

CHRISTIE DOESN’T DISAPPOINT AS HE RIPS INTO LIBERALS

TAMPA, Fla. – Chris Christie did not disappoint — the governor of New Jersey, with his signature “in-your-face” style, tore into the Obama record and hailed the Romney-Ryan team as if they were his beloved New York Mets.

It was a performance that lived up to the expectations of enthusiasts like Rep. Devin Nunes (R-Calif.) who exclaimed to Human Events early Tuesday night, “He’s the most charismatic speaker we have — the right person to be the convention keynote speaker.”

Nunes was just one of many Christie enthusiasts we spoke to before the New Jersey governor took to the stage at the Republican National Convention. Following a string of speakers and taking the podium after Ann Romney — and husband Mitt’s surprise cameo — Christie surpassed every expectation.

Christie drew wild cheers as he lit into the teachers’ unions he fought and liberals in general. In one of his memorable phrases, he declared “our policies are right for America and their policies have failed America.”Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.humanevents.com/2012/08/28/chris-christie-does-not-disappoint-as-he-rips-into-liberals/