Guess who’s coming to Charlotte?

Valin

guess-whos-coming-to-charlotteHot Air:

Ed Morrissey

8/27/12

Republicans will have former Rep. Artur Davis speaking at their national convention this week — the man who served as Barack Obama’s national co-chair in 2008 and seconded his nomination at the Democratic convention that year. Democrats now have their answer, a prominent former Republican officeholder who will speak at the Democratic convention in Charlotte next week:

Florida’s former Republican Gov. Charlie Crist will be a speaker at the Democratic National Convention.

An official with President Barack Obama’s campaign said Sunday that Crist will speak at next week’s convention in Charlotte, N.C., but the day hasn’t been worked out.

Actually, this is a great swap … for Republicans. Crist is rumored to have ambitions to seek his old job back on the Democratic ticket in 2014, but he hardly impressed Floridians with his sour-grapes moves in the 2010 Senate election. Instead of acknowledging his loss in the primary to Marco Rubio, Crist decided to run as an independent. In fact, at perhaps more than one point, he tried to push Democrat Kendrick Meek out of the race and get Obama’s endorsement.

(Snip)

In Florida a couple of years ago, we dined at the same restaurant as Crist (and this restaurant you had to take a ferry to from Miami if not staying on property). He had dinner with a small group of suits and left with his security in an SUV. At the time we "felt" a sleazy aura about him but really could not pin down why. Maybe just the aura most politicians at that level put off.

pollyannaish

We always win these party swaps, I swear. I've never felt we got the raw end of the deal. Spector for Lieberman? You betcha. Crist or Davis? Absolutely. Jeffords for Miller? Heck yes.

Well, I don't care that much for Norm Coleman, so I guess we don't win them all. But we have a pretty good record!