Cops: Lesbian Fakes Attack In Which She Carved Anti-Gay Slurs Into Skin

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

cops-lesbian-fakes-attack-in-which-she-carved-anti-gay-slurs-into-skinCBS St. Louis:

LINCOLN, Neb. (AP) — A former University of Nebraska women’s basketball star faked an attack in which she allegedly carved anti-gay slurs into her skin because she felt it would spark change, police said Tuesday.

Four days before Charlie Rogers crawled naked and bleeding from her Lincoln home, screaming for help, she outlined in a Facebook posting what investigators believe was her motive for faking the July 22 attack, Police Chief Jim Peschong said at a news conference.

“So maybe I am too idealistic, but I believe way deep inside me that we can make things better for everyone. I will be a catalyst. I will do what it takes. I will. Watch me,” read the July 18 posting, according to police.

Furthermore, genetic testing on evidence gathered at the crime scene undermines Rogers’ account of what happened, Peschong said.

Charlie Rogers, 33, pleaded not guilty Tuesday to making a false police report and was released on her own recognizance. She didn’t respond to a message seeking comment left Tuesday at a number listed as hers, but her lawyer, Brett McArthur, said she maintains the attack happened and plans to vigorously defend herself.

“This has been a very traumatic event for her, and having the focus of the investigation turn toward her has been really hard,” said McArthur, who described Rogers as reserved and soft-spoken, and not the type to seek attention.

“She has no reason to lie about what happened. She’s pretty devastated, when you go to authorities and things kind of get turned around on you,” he said.

Rogers, a lesbian who ranks second all-time in blocked shots for the Cornhuskers, reported the attack amid a charged debate in Lincoln over the city’s proposed “fairness ordinance,” which would ban discrimination against gay, lesbian, bisexual and transgender people. The City Council approved the ordinance in May, 5-0, but two conservative groups gathered enough signatures to force a popular vote on it before it can take effect.

________

It was all for a good cause...sheesh.