I’m Right, You’re Wrong and Other Political Truths

Valin

i-m-right-you-re-wrong-and-other-political-truths.htmlBLOOMBERG News:

Ramesh Ponnuru

Aug 20, 2012

"The period which immediately precedes an election, and that during which the election is taking place, must always be considered as a national crisis. ... As the election draws near, the activity of intrigue and the agitation of the populace increase; the citizens are divided into hostile camps, each of which assumes the name of its favorite candidate; the whole nation glows with feverish excitement.” -- Alexis de Tocqueville, “Democracy in America,” 1835

I can’t stand the people on your side. Not you, particularly. You’re fine. It’s your side that’s ruining everything great about this country.

(Snip)

Your side lies shamelessly. Your leaders just make things up. And you just follow them blindly, like sheep -- like blind sheep. You hang out with people who think just like you, and listen only to shows where you’ll hear your own views repeated. It’s an echo chamber of lies!

(Snip)

I’m not saying that my side is perfect. Not at all. I complain about the people on my side all the time. They’re wimps. They’re too polite. They let your side get away with murder. And the press lets it happen, too. The people on my side always bring knives to the gunfight.

Maybe the most infuriating thing your side does is pretend that we’re morally equivalent. That’s not true: Your side is full of much worse people. I can’t even stand seeing them on television. No way could I ever watch that supposed news network of yours.

It’s nothing personal. I just hate people like you.

pollyannaish

This all started with "I think, therefore I am." Our self identity is so tied up in what we believe sometimes, we have difficulty accepting that other people believe differently and that has no impact on our own beliefs.

And that goes for both sides. I am often as appalled at the comments from my side as the other to news stories. When I do find a person who coherently cuts through the BS and has something to say...I really, really love it. No matter where they stand.

Edited to add: I just went and read the comments. I am actually sort of shocked at how many people immediately prove his point. It would be hilarious if not so incredibly sad.

This all started with "I think, therefore I am." Our self identity is so tied up in what we believe sometimes, we have difficulty accepting that other people believe differently and that has no impact on our own beliefs.

And that goes for both sides. I am often as appalled at the comments from my side as the other to news stories. When I do find a person who coherently cuts through the BS and has something to say...I really, really love it. No matter where they stand.

Edited to add: I just went and read the comments. I am actually sort of shocked at how many people immediately prove his point. It would be hilarious if not so incredibly sad.

I am reminded of a title to a documentary Ann McElhinney made...Not Evil, Just Wrong. To much of the time the two sides are talking AT each other not TOO each other.