Precious U.S. Citizenship: Diminished and Given Away by Obama

Geee

precious_us_citizenship_diminished_and_given_away_by_obama.htmlAmerican Thinker:

Let me tell you a story about three kids who wanted to run for the tall grass.

It was early the '90s, and I was at the U.S. Citizenship Ceremony in Maryland. Around 1,500 people -- citizenship applicants, supportive family, and friends -- filled the hall.

I was backstage with a trio of extremely nervous and intimidated teenagers who were scheduled to sing our National Anthem. These kids had never performed for such a large audience.

I had been the grand finale of the ceremony for years, performing my original song, "Celebrate America," after applicants took their oath of allegiance. I took great pride that my song was the first song thousands heard as official Americans.

When the emcee introduced the trio from so-and-so junior high school, the kids were visibly shaking. They began the anthem fine, but one got nervous and stopped singing, which threw off the other two, and they stopped singing as well. The trio stood in silence.

I walked from backstage and joined the kids front and center. I told the audience that these kids were symbolic of what it really means to be an American and of the great family they would soon join. I shared that the kids were very frightened because the event was much larger than they expected. They could have backed down and refused to perform. But despite their fear, these kids found the courage to face the difficult challenge, keep their word, and give it a try. This is the American Way.

Together, the trio and I sang the National Anthem. The audience gave us a standing ovation.

Performing my song at U.S. Citizenship Ceremonies rewarded me with an opportunity to chat with brand-new and proud Americans. They understood the sacrifice and divine blessing required to make this extraordinarily unique experiment called "America" a thriving reality. They gleefully desired to assimilate into our culture.Scissors-32x32.png