Why doom has not materialized

Valin

fcf89ed6-e7fb-11e1-936a-b801f1abab19_story.htmlWashington Post:

George F. Will

August 17 2012

Sometimes the news is that something was not newsworthy. The United Nations’ Rio+20 conference — 50,000 participants from 188 nations — occurred in June without consequences. A generation has passed since the 1992 Earth Summit in Rio, which begat other conferences and protocols (e.g., Kyoto). And, by now, apocalypse fatigue — boredom from being repeatedly told the end is nigh.

This began two generations ago, in 1972, when we were warned (by computer models developed at MIT) that we were doomed. We were supposed to be pretty much extinct by now, or at least miserable. We are neither. So, what went wrong?

That year begat “The Limits to Growth,” a book from the Club of Rome, which called itself “a project on the predicament of mankind.” It sold 12 million copies, staggered the New York Times (“one of the most important documents of our age”) and argued that economic growth was doomed by intractable scarcities. Bjorn Lomborg, the Danish academic and “skeptical environmentalist,” writing in Foreign Affairs, says it “helped send the world down a path of worrying obsessively about misguided remedies for minor problems while ignoring much greater concerns,” such as poverty, which only economic growth can ameliorate.

(Snip)

The modelers missed something — human ingenuity in discovering, extracting and innovating. Which did not just appear after 1972.

(Snip)

I would add the comments are most.....enlightening.

Allow if you will to translate many of the comments.....(cough...cough) Everything is not perfect so we are all doomed Doomed to die horrible lingering deaths in squalid conditions and its all the fault of the Koch Brothers.

Interesting article. I'm glad it was in the Washington Post. I have great faith in human ingenuity -- one of our many God-given gifts.

Interesting article. I'm glad it was in the Washington Post. I have great faith in human ingenuity -- one of our many God-given gifts.

With so many of the comments...I just want to grab a stick and get their attention! wallbash.gif