Marry Young (and Well), Have Many Children Early (But Responsibly)

Valin

Marry-Young-and-Well-Have-Many-Children-Early-But-ResponsiblyRicochet:

Cornelius Julius Sebastian

8/14/12

I have been mulling this post for awhile. What I am going to say will likely cause quite a few folks to bristle, but here it goes: I honestly hope my kids marry (well) young and have many kids early.

I realize that is something of an anathema statement even to modern conservatives. But I truly feel that if the culture is to survive, we need to restore the inter-generational continuity of a half century ago.

(Snip)

I know the arguments against early marriage and child rearing -- go to school, get yourself financially established, etc. I fell for them too. Frankly, I think they are ridiculous. The vast majority of the world raises far larger families than we do on a fraction of our GDP. It is only materialist selfishness that made the prevailing ideology the norm. In fact, I find that worldview to be unabashedly liberal, not conservative. Delaying responsibility has only extended the infantile adolescence we all criticize. You want an adult civic populace? Give them adult responsibilities. There is no greater responsibility than having kids.

Now, I caveat all this with admonition that you must marry well. Both husband and wife must enter into the marriage contract with mutually-agreed visions, goals and beliefs. Deep and abiding faith (as distinct from going-through-the-motions denominational affiliation) is the most proven method for achieving this. If that is done, the gates of hell cannot prevail against what the couple and God will establish.

Here endeth the lesson.

pollyannaish

I married youngish (23) and well, and had my first at 28. After the second, we realized that we were not smart enough to be outnumbered by the children.

If I honestly thought we could have done it, I would have been very happy have a couple more. I am not sure that was truth with Mr. P. I also wish I could have been 100% a stay at home mom for my whole life. But in this day and age, that is becoming a virtual impossibility, even with cost cutting.

I do think the world has changed since we started our family. I often wonder what it will be like for my children and grandchildren...and what the best path forward is.

Fortunately we are unable to figure that out for them. Nor should we. We can watch anxiously (sometimes), pray (always), and occasionally subtly (or in @Rheo's case not always so subtly) guide them, usually when asked first. But each generation gets to figure it out for themselves, and they will make mistakes as we all have.