Report: Gov. Christie to deliver keynote address at GOP convention

Geee

243495-report-nj-gov-christie-to-deliver-keynote-address-at-conventionTheHill:

New Jersey Gov. Chris Christie will deliver the keynote address at the Republican National Convention in Tampa, Fla., later this month.

Christie, a prominent Romney surrogate and a rising star in the GOP, says he intends to present an “emphatic” case for the Republican approach to turning around the nation’s economy, reports USA Today.

In an interview with the paper, which first reported his selection as keynote speaker, Christie said he was already at work on his address, crafting a fourth draft and “grinding away on it.”

“I'll try to tell some very direct and hard truths to people in the country about the trouble that we're in and the fact that fixing those problems is not going to be easy for any of them,” said Christie.

“The American people are ready to confront those problems head-on and endure some sacrifice,” he added.

Christie was also rumored to be on Mitt Romney’s vice presidential short-list and reports last year said high-profile GOP donors had approached the New Jersey governor and urged him to enter the party’s primary himself. Christie, though, eventually endorsed Romney in October.

He repeatedly said he was not interested in the running mate slot, but would consider if the party’s standard bearer offered him the post. “He might be able to convince me. He's a convincing guy,” he said of Romney in May.

The keynote slot is a prime spot for rising stars and asked about a possible 2016 GOP presidential bid, Christie said he hoped he would “come back at the next convention renominating President Romney and Vice President Ryan.”

But he left the door open to further speculation saying “It's what I accomplish or don't accomplish as governor that will be the springboard or not for me.”

Christie will be joined by many other prominent speakers at the GOP meet in Tampa, including Ariz. Sen. John McCain, former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice, former Gov. Jeb Bush (Fla.), and former Pennsylvania Sen. Rick Santorum.Scissors-32x32.png