Romney picks Ryan, sharpens debate over sick economy

Pepper

Paul Ryan:

"My dad died when when I was young but he was a good and decent man.

There are a few things he would say that have just always stuck with me.

"Son, you're either part of the problem or part of the solution."

Well, regrettably, President Obama has become part of the problem, and Mitt Romney is the solution.

The other thing that my dad would always say,

Every generation of Americans leaves their children better off. That is the American legacy.

Sadly for the first time in our lives we are on a path that will undo that legacy. That is why we need new leadership.

Scissors-32x32.png

Our rights come from Nature and God"

Good speech by Ryan. I'm also a big fan of his return to founding principles comment.

Ryan vs. Biden debate? That will be entertaining. Of course that guy Bob that works at our local Radio Shack could beat Biden in a debate.

Good speech by Ryan. I'm also a big fan of his return to founding principles comment.

Ryan vs. Biden debate? That will be entertaining. Of course that guy Bob that works at our local Radio Shack could beat Biden in a debate.

5812996205_biden_bunker_gaffe_xlarge.jpegPaulRyan-TheAntidote-thumb-400x569-1236-210x300.jpg

A Blast From The Past

TWS: Man with a Plan

How Paul Ryan became the intellectual leader of the Republican party

STEPHEN F. HAYES

Jul 23, 2012

Kenosha, Wisc.

Paul Ryan has come to Kenosha to deliver bad news. It’s May 3, 2012, and the United States faces an imminent debt crisis. The federal government is spending too much. Entitlements are out of control. Social Security is going insolvent. Medicare is sucking up an ever-increasing chunk of our tax dollars. There are too many retirees and too few workers to support them. And both political parties are responsible for the unholy mess.

Ryan, the seven-term representative from Wisconsin’s 1st Congressional District, speaks quickly, as if the coming collapse might happen in the middle of his remarks if he takes too much time. It’s a bracing message. He is saying, in effect, that the American experiment, our 236 extraordinary years of self-government, is on the verge of failure.

And yet Ryan is smiling. It’s not the phony grin of a politician seeking votes, or the half-smirk of a charlatan putting one over on a group of rubes. It’s a real smile—the eager smile of someone excited to share important news. Paul Ryan believes he has the solution to these problems. And after a long and often lonely fight to convince his fellow Republicans that they should be talking about these issues, Ryan is succeeding.

(Snip)

yan has never been a title-chaser. He’s a guileless, straightforward man who wants to advance the ideas he believes in. It’s not quite accurate to say that he’s not political; he’s an effective politician, as one would have to be to consistently post huge victories in a district that Charlie Cook, of the nonpartisan Cook Political Report, has rated in the dead center—No. 218—on his partisan voter index. But if he were driven primarily by political considerations he wouldn’t have spent most of the last five years doing precisely the opposite of what most Republican pollsters and strategists were recommending.

Unlike some others mentioned as possible running mates, Ryan hasn’t been quietly campaigning for the job. Normally one of the most accessible Republicans on Capitol Hill, Ryan has turned down virtually all of the interview requests he’s received over the past several weeks. His staff is nervous that this article, originally conceived in February as a narrower look at the history of his entitlement reform proposals, will be published at the height of vice presidential speculation.

Ryan would no doubt accept the job if it were offered. “He told me directly he would do it,” says one Ryan confidant. But he’d be perfectly content to work with a President Romney as chairman of the House Budget Committee.

Ryan has already achieved one objective he’d set for himself when he decided to remain in Congress and work on entitlement reform. “My goal was to move the center of gravity in the Republican party on these issues.”

It seemed naïve, maybe impossible before he started. His next goal could be characterized the same way. “There’s no way you can actually save this country from a debt crisis, and save the American idea, if you don’t do the kinds of things we’re proposing,” Ryan says. “We’ll see how it ends.”

I am really really REALLY looking forward to the VP debate...although I'm not sure Plugs Biden is.

@Valin

@logicnreason @Saltbag

Great article about Ryan. Thanks!

Krauthammer:

Republicans four years later saying to the Democrats, well you had your shot at charisma and hope and change but instead it is really a dismal sort of declining America

We have the ideas and are willing to lead from them and lead from the front.

Change is now on the side of the Republicans.

@Valin

@logicnreason @Saltbag

Great article about Ryan. Thanks!

Krauthammer:

Republicans four years later saying to the Democrats, well you had your shot at charisma and hope and change but instead it is really a dismal sort of declining America

We have the ideas and are willing to lead from them and lead from the front.

Change is now on the side of the Republicans.

This also goes along way to shore up the (evil ultra radical) right wing base.

@Valin

Too many young generations have been brainwashed into accepting the secular humanist code.

This election has to be about fundamental principles. If not, the hand out King wins.

@Valin

Too many young generations have been brainwashed into accepting the secular humanist code.

I wonder just how true that is? I have no real proof one way or another, but still....? Might be something worth really looking into.

@Valin The 2008 election of Obama is one piece of evidence.

I would like to point out every generation has been saying that, or something similar for as long as I've been around. Actually as I recall Plato said something very much like that, decrying the lack of morals in the younger generation.

logicnreason

I believe it to be true that the measure of a successful right wing candidate for any elected office is how vitriolic and hateful the attacks against them are from the left.

RSquared has my vote now. Hold the election now - before all the dead people and illegal aliens can be lined up!

Once and for all......eradicate the stain and the current regime NOW!

• Like 1

Draggingtree

Romney goes bold with Ryan as VP pick

August 10, 2012 | 11:10 pm

Byron York

Chief Political Correspondent

The Washington Examiner

Mitt Romney is not known as a gambling man. When choosing a running mate, many observers expected Romney to make the safest, most cautious choice — most likely Ohio Sen. Rob Portman.* By instead choosing Rep. Paul Ryan, Romney is sending a clear signal that he intends to run a more daring and more ideologically vigorous campaign than he has run up to this point. And in that sense, Romney has now become a gambling man.

Although Romney had embraced the Ryan budget plan, he has now embraced its author, too — and Scissors-32x32.png read more http://washingtonexaminer.com/romney-goes-bold-with-ryan-as-vp-pick/article/2504631

PJ Tatler: Obama Camp’s Reaction to Ryan Pick

The Obama campaign reacted to Rep. Paul Ryan joining the GOP ticket with the following fundraising email. It smells of panic, and shows that the Democrats are gearing up to paint Ryan as “extreme.”

(Snip)

KUDO's to Big Jim Messina for letting we poor benighted souls the Paul Ryan really is a terrible person, who doesn't know anything about the economy...or anything else.

Draggingtree

By John Tamny, Forbes Staff

Op/Ed

8/11/2012 @ 10:09AM

In a Presidential Election About the Economy, Paul Ryan Was the Only Choice

After weeks and months of rumors and speculation about whom Mitt Romney would pick as his Election 2012 Vice Presidential running mate, the suspense ended this morning with the announcement that Wisconsin Rep. Paul Ryan would fill the role. Media accounts will suggest that the Ryan pick had a bold, go-for-broke quality to it, but in truth Ryan was the safest selection of all.

He was the safest because in an election all about the U.S. economy, Ryan is the most suited among Scissors-32x32.png

http://www.forbes.com/sites/johntamny/2012/08/11/in-a-presidential-election-about-the-economy-paul-ryan-was-the-only-choice/

Draggingtree

Ryan VP pick should not be cut and dried for conservatives

Written By : Dustin Siggins

Over the last few months I have ticked off a number of people by writing that Mitt Romney may not earn my vote in November. With Rep. Paul Ryan (R-WI) now on the ticket as the nominee for Vice President, I am now far more open to supporting Romney than I was one week ago. Picking Ryan shows a significant amount of political courage and risk-taking, since Democrats and liberals will obviously declare both men want to throw Grandma off of a cliff. With Ryan on the ticket, though, the GOP has a candidate who can articulately point out that if we don’t change Medicare, Grandma is going off the cliff anyway.

However, I have significant concerns about the effusive praise conservatives have had for Ryan since he was picked as the nominee. In his acceptance speech, Ryan talked Scissors-32x32.png read more http://race42012.com/2012/08/11/ryan-vp-pick-should-not-be-cut-and-dried-for-conservatives/