Carbonite CEO admits dropping Limbaugh hurt growth more than expected

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

carbonite-ceo-admits-dropping-limbaugh-hurt-growth-more-than-expectedLegal Insurrection:

Carbonite CEO admits dropping Limbaugh hurt growth more than expected

Posted by William A. Jacobson Friday, August 3, 2012 at 12:13pm

Carbonite famously dropped Rush Limbaugh on a Saturday Night at the height of the Sandra Fluke controversy. Carbonite became the poster child for the Rush boycott movement organized by Media Matters, which coordinated the effort with so-called independent groups.

At the time I examined Carbonite’s SEC filings, and how Carbonite had built its business model based on high growth driven, in significant part, by the promotion of Carbonite by Limbaugh. I predicted that Carbonite had shot itself in the foot, and put political correctness before the interests of its shareholders.

Since that time the Stop Rush effort has imploded, with backstabbing and accusations among the participants. Limbaugh has had better numbers than ever, and the hype surrounding Mike Huckabee as a Limbaugh replacement has gone flat.

Yet what became of Carbonite?

On August 1 Carbonite released it’s 2d Quarter 2012 results, the first full quarter after dropping Limbaugh in March. The results shocked Wall Street, as Scissors-32x32.png read more

http://legalinsurrection.com/2012/08/carbonite-ceo-admits-dropping-limbaugh-hurt-growth-more-than-expected/

People are really voting with their wallets....

and I love it.

The whole Fluke thing was just a diversion and Carbonite was stupid enough to get caught up in it.

pollyannaish

Me too @Evad. I like it a lot. We will not be bullied.

I think that dropping Rush definitely hurt them in the short term, but sustained losses are probably more systemic than that.

I agree with you @Pepper. Rush is an early adopter of technology, and no matter how hard he plugged it, eventually Compuserve was eclipsed by better models. The same thing is happening to Carbonite. We looked into it last year and found things that offered more for less.

I never looked into it although I often wondered how it's any better than a $10 flash drive that you update periodically.

pollyannaish

I never looked into it although I often wondered how it's any better than a $10 flash drive that you update periodically.

Ha! It depends. It is for us, since all of our photography is digital, as is our extensive music library and we seem to have disasters on a regular basis. Broken hard drives, fires, floods...you know. I think it is the target on our roof.

Anyway, we need something that will upload automatically off site. I actually really like the cloud conceptually. It works well for us and keeps us from having lots of extra stuff around the house. ;)

A flash drive would be safe. No one is going to hack into your flash drive. And if your media files are large, a hard drive would be more practical. A media library can grow to 10 Gb to 50 Gb easily.

pollyannaish

A flash drive would be safe. No one is going to hack into your flash drive. And if your media files are large, a hard drive would be more practical. A media library can grow to 10 Gb to 50 Gb easily.

Yeah. We had a 1.5 Terabyte Drive go south and loose all of our data. Sigh. That was a tough day.

But I think we may be the exception rather than the rule.

Too bad, @pollyannaish Hard drives can fail anytime. They need to make them so that you get a little message: I am going to crash tomorrow. Run down to Office Max and buy another.

Recovery was probably too expensive ??

pollyannaish

Too bad, @pollyannaish Hard drives can fail anytime. They need to make them so that you get a little message: I am going to crash tomorrow. Run down to Office Max and buy another.

Recovery was probably too expensive ??

I could use that for my computer, bank account and energy level too! :lol:

Yes, and in the end we found a work around. But we decided to make it easier on ourselves. We still use big drives and flash drives all the time, but we've also become offsite backup converts in the process. At the end of the day, it's kind of like a safety deposit box for your valuable.

pollyannaish

@pollyannaish

That will work. You and other Cloud users should be just fine, as long as Obama is not in charge of the FBI, NSA, the CIA, TSA and we don't use Google.

bag.gif

Ha! Well, if Obama thinks he can find something in our personal photos and music collection, I figure we're screwed anyway. It's not that I don't believe they can make something out of nothing, it's just that I figure if they are trying that hard they'll get it no matter what we do!

• Like 1

@pollyannaish

That will work. You and other Cloud users should be just fine, as long as Obama is not in charge of the FBI, NSA, the CIA, TSA and we don't use Google.

bag.gif

Ha! Well, if Obama thinks he can find something in our personal photos and music collection, I figure we're screwed anyway. It's not that I don't believe they can make something out of nothing, it's just that I figure if they are trying that hard they'll get it no matter what we do!

Lets just hope they don't find the Tea Party Secret Plans for the overthrow of the government.

@pollyannaish

bag.gif

Lets just hope they don't find the Tea Party Secret Plans for the overthrow of the government.

ohmy.png Now you've done it ! We're all going to be on a list.

@pollyannaish

bag.gif

ohmy.png Now you've done it ! We're all going to be on a list.

And what makes you think this is not just part of the plan?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dSZrYR1hHY&feature=relmfu

Trust No One.