Too Much of a Good Thing

Valin

too-much-good-thing-roger-cleggNRO/The Corner:

Roger Clegg

August 2, 2012

During the 1960s and ’70s, hundreds of school-desegregation decrees were put in place, especially in the South, and rightly so. But the Supreme Court has warned that these decrees are not to stay in place forever. Normally local school districts, not federal judges, are supposed to run the schools; dissolving a desegregation decree when the school system is fully desegregated will not allow schools to readopt Jim Crow policies (the Fourteenth Amendment does not expire), but it will allow districts more flexibility with regard to charter schools and other student-assignment issues.

One problem that has arisen in particular is the tension between these ancient decrees (which spell out rigidly which students can go to which schools) and needed reforms that allow students to transfer out of failing schools (as No Child Left Behind, for example, does). Well, the Huffington Post has pointed out a recent instance of this problem, where a 1960s-era decree has prompted school officials in one Louisiana district to warn students that they can’t transfer out of a failing school if they are the wrong color (in this case, white).

(Snip)

Is it time to revisit this question?

pollyannaish

Fix this permanently and start giving parents vouchers. Period. (I've noted my education suggestions on previous threads.)

Desegregating schools was at one time VERY important. It's time is over, and we need to start focusing on results.

Fix this permanently and start giving parents vouchers. Period.

RACIST! and ANTI UNION I guess you just don't care about "The Children"!

pollyannaish

Fix this permanently and start giving parents vouchers. Period.

RACIST! and ANTI UNION I guess you just don't care about "The Children"!

Yup, an anti union racist homophobe. Would it be better if I did care about the children? Haha!

(Actually, we are a union household. Hate it. Talk about bullying.)

pollyannaish

@pollyannaish

At one time I was a union official...the tales I could tell. Needless to say the other officials were less than thrilled with me. evil1.gif

Oh man! You better tell them one of these days. That's terrific.

OK, now my head REALLY HURTS, and my thoughts are turning toward smacking someone upside the head....of course I mean that only in the most tolerant open minded inclusive way.