Conservatives – good at buycotts, bad at boycotts

Valin

conservatives-good-at-buycotts-bad-at-boycottsLegal Insurrection:

William A. Jacobson

August 1, 2012

Chick-fil-A Appreciation Day has proven something I’ve noticed before.

Conservatives are very good at buycotts, but very bad at boycotts.

There have been attempts by some conservative and religious groups to boycott various businesses over political issues. But I can’t think of one, at least not recently, that has caught on.

(Snip)

I'd like to springboard off this to ask a larger question. Are boycotts Left Center Right ever really that successful? By successful I mean have they changed a companies/businesses policy or position on an issue?

pollyannaish

I think that in general, conservatives understand that boycotts are ineffective because you can never get 100% of the population to support it in a free country. As such, the business simply adjusts to the slightly lower income numbers and moves on. There is always someone else who is comfortable either ignoring political issues when engaging in commerce (me generally) and those who support whatever the cause is. The effect is then sort of watered down, vague and hard to quantify.

On the other hand, buycotts send a short term, very clear message of support for a certain perspective. It's worked with the Salvation Army bell ringers at Christmas a few years ago, it worked for Chick-fil-a, it worked for certain movies. It is a sales bump that is directly related to a specific event.

So to me, the point is how do I send a clear, effective message. Buycotts are much more effective, a business concept Conservatives instinctively understand.

In all things business related: ROI, ROI, ROI. Even boycotts/buycotts. One must ask: Did the effort pay off in the way I wished it to?

@pollyannaish

I recall when Mel Gibson did "The Passion Of The Christ" and how the left got there panties in a bunch. I was thinking this is not a movie, this is a licence to print money. Mel is going to need a freight train to haul the money away. Talk about a ready made audience! Hollywood still doesn't get it.

@Valin @pollyannaish

Liberals are good at being loud, noisy, holding signs and telling others how to think but as a whole are notorious cheapskates and reluctant to spend any money - because they are too busy being loud, noisy and holding signs and telling others how to think.

Conservatives know the value of a dollar, having earned their dollar, the impact of their dollar on a business owner, and thus carefully spend their dollar where it does the most good for themselves and the business owner.

pollyannaish

@Valin @pollyannaish

Liberals are good at being loud, noisy, holding signs and telling others how to think but as a whole are notorious cheapskates and reluctant to spend any money - because they are too busy being loud, noisy and holding signs and telling others how to think.

Conservatives know the value of a dollar, having earned their dollar, the impact of their dollar on a business owner, and thus carefully spend their dollar where it does the most good for themselves and the business owner.

I don't know Pepper. The liberals I know are pretty good at spending money as long as it is someone elses. :lol:

(Thanks for teeing that up for me. You're right. That's why they want to spend other people's money.)

From the Imamma.

Chick-fil-A day: Don’t boycott. Infiltrate.

Scissors-32x32.png

While Christians will be showing up at the restaurants in droves today, there is a movement afoot by “The Gay and Lesbian Alliance against Defamation” to stage kiss-ins in front of many outlets. Mayors of Washington, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago have expressed their outrage at the company policy.

What to do if you feel the same way?. The idea of a boycott is so clichéd. Even the kiss-in doesn’t really make the point. Gays and lesbians could start applying for jobs at Chick-fil-A. Get in there. Become managers, take over the places. Gays could begin patronizing Chick-fil-As and I don’t mean carry out. Make the restaurants the gay hangouts of the community. Gay partners and Married gays could begin taking their children there. They could start having birthday parties for their kids. They could have Gay pride events there. (They have an events manager – just call) They could even have gay weddings there.

Scissors-32x32.png

pollyannaish

@pollyannaish

I recall when Mel Gibson did "The Passion Of The Christ" and how the left got there panties in a bunch. I was thinking this is not a movie, this is a licence to print money. Mel is going to need a freight train to haul the money away. Talk about a ready made audience! Hollywood still doesn't get it.

Ever read Medved's book on Movies? He shatters the myth of decent movies not making money. Since I have an interest in pop culture, I really loved it. Medved is an easy, straight forward read. I like Stossel for the same reason.

pollyannaish

From the Imamma.

Chick-fil-A day: Don’t boycott. Infiltrate.

Scissors-32x32.png

While Christians will be showing up at the restaurants in droves today, there is a movement afoot by “The Gay and Lesbian Alliance against Defamation” to stage kiss-ins in front of many outlets. Mayors of Washington, San Francisco, Boston and Chicago have expressed their outrage at the company policy.

What to do if you feel the same way?. The idea of a boycott is so clichéd. Even the kiss-in doesn’t really make the point. Gays and lesbians could start applying for jobs at Chick-fil-A. Get in there. Become managers, take over the places. Gays could begin patronizing Chick-fil-As and I don’t mean carry out. Make the restaurants the gay hangouts of the community. Gay partners and Married gays could begin taking their children there. They could start having birthday parties for their kids. They could have Gay pride events there. (They have an events manager – just call) They could even have gay weddings there.

Scissors-32x32.png

That will start a civil war right there. Seriously. Why not just start your own place?

This is a perfect example of what makes me so incredibly angry with the militant gay movement. They can not just live and let live. They can't tolerate disapproval. They can't stand not owning everything.

So rather than shrugging it off, and starting a place that supports their values, they must fight against someone else's values. You have my tolerance and even support to live your life the way you want. Don't worry about my approval!

This is a perfect example of what makes me so incredibly angry with the militant gay movement. They can not just live and let live. They can't tolerate disapproval. They can't stand not owning everything.

@pollyannaish

This is the way of the Left, not just the LGBTXQ alphabetic community.

Reagan-Liberalism-Disease.jpg

pollyannaish

If you are worried about disapproval, you have doubts yourself.

And I know that about my self out of experience.