Ted Cruz wins Texas Senate primary in a victory for tea party

Valin

gJQAW2i5NX_story.htmlWashington Post:

Paul Kane

7/31/12

Onetime long shot Ted Cruz won the Republican nomination in a U.S. Senate race in Texas on Tuesday, providing tea party activists with renewed momentum in what they said was their biggest victory of the year.

Cruz, a 41-year-old former Texas solicitor general and a first-time candidate for elective office, is the tea party’s first bona fide star of the 2012 campaign: a charismatic speaker with an up-by-the-bootstraps biography who upended the Republican establishment in the nation’s largest red state.

With most precincts reporting, Cruz held a lead of 55 percent to 45 percent over Lt. Gov. David Dewhurst, a powerful GOP figure who spent freely from his vast personal fortune and had endorsements from most of the state’s influential Republicans, including Gov. Rick Perry.

(Snip)

e5.gif

Ted Cruz and the GOP’s changing face

Chris Cillizza and Aaron Blake

08/01/2012

Ted Cruz’s come-from-behind victory in the Texas GOP Senate runoff on Tuesday — and the near-certainty that he will cruise to a general election win in November — ensures he will immediately join a rapidly growing group of rising national Republican stars that have one big thing in common: None of them are white.

Cruz, a Cuban-American, joins Florida Sen. Marco Rubio, Govs. Bobby Jindal (La.), Susana Martinez (N.M.), Nikki Haley (S.C.) and Brian Sandoval (Nev.), as well as South Carolina Rep. Tim Scott as non-white Republicans — Cruz, Rubio, Sandoval and Martinez are Hispanic, Jindal and Haley are Indian-American, and Scott is black — that are nearly certain to run for national office, serve on a national ticket or be mentioned for a national ticket at some point in the not-too-distant future. And, with the exception of Jindal, all of them have been elected since 2010.

For a party that has struggled in recent years to escape the caricature that it is dominated by old, white men, the spate of minority faces rising to statewide office is a welcome development.

(Snip)

pollyannaish

Excellent.

Edited to add: I think it bodes well for the long term viability of the tea party to be focusing on elections such as this one around the country rather than national contests.

In the long run, these will have more influence than a single figure head nationally.

We need to keep it up. It's good strategy, and its the strategy the left used to influence the Dem party. One of the things we can learn from them!

Excellent.

Edited to add: I think it bodes well for the long term viability of the tea party to be focusing on elections such as this one around the country rather than national contests.

In the long run, these will have more influence than a single figure head nationally.

We need to keep it up. It's good strategy, and its the strategy the left used to influence the Dem party. One of the things we can learn from them!

NO NO NO!!! The MSM has told us the Tea Party is just a flash in the pan, with no long term influence....unlike OWs which is the true voice of The People.

I though everyone knew this. I'm starting to get a little disappointed in you. If you keep this up I may not be able to get you on Bill Maher.

pollyannaish

Excellent.

NO NO NO!!! The MSM has told us the Tea Party is just a flash in the pan, with no long term influence....unlike OWs which is the true voice of The People.

I though everyone knew this. I'm starting to get a little disappointed in you. If you keep this up I may not be able to get you on Bill Maher.

Well, I guess I'll cross that one off my bucket list.

Excellent.

Well, I guess I'll cross that one off my bucket list.

Well there's always Janeane Garofalo

JaneaneGarofalo2.jpg

evil1.gif

DeMint’s Dominion

As Ted Cruz rises, so does Senator Jim DeMint.

Robert Costa

8/2/12

Senator Jim DeMint is all smiles. Ted Cruz’s upset victory in Texas’s Republican Senate primary means the conservative wing of the GOP conference, a bloc the second-term lawmaker from South Carolina shepherds, will almost certainly increase its ranks.

“This confirms that there is a new political reality,” DeMint tells National Review Online in an interview in his office. “The people who are winning, for the Senate particularly, are those who are telling Americans the truth.”

(Snip)

DeMint acknowledges that reform faces many hurdles, but come January, the 60-year-old senator is optimistic that he’ll have a slew of tea-party senators ready to help. “Ted Cruz, Richard Mourdock, Deb Fischer, hopefully Mark Neumann, these folks will hopefully come in and bring a lot of closet conservatives in the Republican party out in the open,” DeMint chuckles. “Marco Rubio, Rand Paul, Mike Lee — they have the sense of urgency. But they are outnumbered.”

(Snip)