Should Girls and Boys Be Educated Separately?

Valin

Should-Girls-and-Boys-Be-Educated-SeparatelyRicochet:

A.D.P. Efferson

7/19/12

Single-sex classrooms are on the rise. As a parent of three elementary school kids, I think this is a great idea. Besides, at this age, they naturally segregate themselves out anyway, and for good reason: boys are icky and girls have cooties. Everyone 10 and under knows that. It doesn’t seem like a great leap in logic to think educating them separately might be of some benefit.

Proponents argue that, “...separation allows for a tailored instruction and cuts down on gender-driven distractions,” while critics like the American Psychological Association (APA), “...decry the movement as promoting harmful gender stereotypes and depriving kids of equal educational opportunities.”

(Snip)

The question then becomes, do the benefits of single-sex education outweigh the negative effects of gender stereotyping? I can’t type “yes” fast enough. Frankly, the idea that we need to be indoctrinating kids to think gender differences don’t exist is at best offensive and at worst harmful. Boys and girls are different, and that’s ok. I think for my children this would be of great benefit. They would learn around their peers who are just like them. If, in the future, that doesn't appear to be the case, I can make an alternate decision. I'm not suggesting gender-separate classrooms are for everyone. I am suggesting we should have the option.

(Snip)

clearvision

Yes but which class in school will get the good teachers and which will get the bad? Let me guess...

Yes but which class in school will get the good teachers and which will get the bad? Let me guess...

Well it must be completely equal, fair. because schooling like life must be equitable.

pollyannaish

No and yes.

Personal view:

Men and women have very different work and learning styles. But when we get older, we have to work together and we might as well start figuring that out from the beginning.

It's the education system itself that needs to change, as I addressed on the "Are there too many teachers" thread.

I think there is a way to do this that isn't about gender or stereotyping, but about competence.

Political view:

I think the option should be there, if parents think that would be best for their particular student.

So..,Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers.

No and yes.

Personal view:

Men and women have very different work and learning styles. But when we get older, we have to work together and we might as well start figuring that out from the beginning.

I attended Duluth Cathedral High School, and there was a girls wing ∧ boys wing. That worked out well.

It's the education system itself that needs to change, as I addressed on the "Are there too many teachers" thread.

Agree!!!! The good news as I said it will...actually it is.

Political view:

I think the option should be there, if parents think that would be best for their particular student.

So..,Vouchers, vouchers, vouchers.

But But what if parents make the wrong choice! rolleyes.gif

FYI

Ricochet Comments

Donald Todd

Yes. Girls mature more quickly than boys, and have a lower need for exercise. Girls are also overshadowed by boys in classrooms, and are generally less prone to speak up even when the answer is obvious to them.

Separate them and permit them to learn at their own speeds.

If girls/young women want to learn math and science, no problem. Just allow them to compete with their own gender and grow in their own skills before putting them in competition with boys/young men.

It will also take away the preening by both sexes as they attempt to appeal to the other sex. So you might add school uniforms to single sex segregated education.

clearvision

Girls have a lower need for exercise? Not from what I've seen of the elementary/middle school girls around here.