Sovereignty of Violence: A Visit to Syria’s Civil War

Geee

sovereignty-of-violence-a-visit-to-syrias-civil-warPJMedia:

“And as our vineyards, fallows, meads and hedges, defective in their natures, grow to wildness, even so our houses and ourselves and children have lost, or do not learn for want of time, the sciences that should become our country, but grow like savages – as soldiers will — that nothing do but meditate on blood — to swearing, stern looks, diffused attire, and everything that seems unnatural.” (Shakespeare, Henry V).

I remember the sound of Muslim prayer chanted in the morning by FSA fighters at their headquarters in Binnish, Idleb Province, before they set out for their day of making war. AK-47s and RPG-7s were stacked up against the wall, and there were rumors that the army would be coming into town any day.

Bashar Assad’s troops and armor were deployed on the main highway and out in the surrounding countryside. They were laying siege to Homs at the time, and a trickle of refugees had made it northwards, telling stories of massacres. It was thought that Idleb would be next.

That was in February of this year. I had entered Syria over the mountains with a smugglers’ convoy running weaponry and supplies for the FSA in Idleb. I spent a week in the province interviewing fighters and activists, attending demonstrations and gatherings of FSA fighters.

As it turned out, I missed the counter-attack. Bashar’s army did not begin to retake the rebel-held zones of Idleb until early March. The 76th Mechanized Brigade came through over the course of the month, leaving a trail of blood and executions in its wake. By that time, I had already made the return journey across the mountains — back to Antakya, and then to Ankara, and then to my home in Jerusalem.

Things have changed since that February, and not to the Assad regime’s benefit. The determined and systematic counterattack launched by the dictator’s army in February and March has not produced the hoped-for quiet. The army can still retake any area it chooses, but when it moves on the rebellion comes back to life.

Forty thousand men are now under arms against Bashar Assad’s regime. His own force still nominally consists of 220,000 troops, but in reality he can make practical use of probably around a third of that number.Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree

Syria's massive chemical weapons stockpile could fall into the hands of jihadists

There will be an unimaginable bloodbath of Christians and Alawites slaughtered if Assad falls, but that's just for starters. The king of Jordan is warning that their chemical weapons stockpile could fall into the hands of jihadists.

It's interesting to me that the world's eyes look to Israel. Israel, the scapegoat and word's punching bag, is the one the world relies on in that part of the world to save us from evil (i.e. the Osirak nuclear plant in Iraq and the NORK-built nuclear plant in Syria).

Washington has held talks with Israel about a possible strike at Syria’s chemical weapons stockpile, which is thought to be the largest in the world.

Thomas Donilon, the US national security advisor, was in Israel last weekend to discuss the bloody crisis:

Telelgraph: Its concern is shared by King Abdullah of Jordan, who told CNN that in the "worst case scenario" chemical weapons could end up in the hands of jihadist groups among the patchwork of anti-Assad forces.

"Our information is that there is a presence of al-Qaeda in certain regions inside Syria, and has been there for a while," he told CNN.

The king of Jordan warned Wednesday that his northern neighbor Syria was on the brink of all-out civil war and that in a worst-case scenario, chemical weapons could fall into the hands of Al-Qaeda. AFP, July 18, 2012

King Abdullah II told CNN a bomb attack that killed core members of the Syrian regime was a "tremendous blow" to President Bashar al-Assad but not yet the death knell for a regime that remains determined to cling to power.

"In other words, it's getting very, very messy to a point where I think the worst-case scenario for all of us in the region is when Scissors-32x32.png

Posted by Pamela Geller on Thursday, July 19, 2012 at 09:26 AM

http://atlasshrugs2000.typepad.com/atlas_shrugs/2012/07/syrias-massive-chemical-weapons-stockpile-could-fall-into-the-hands-of-jihadists.html

Thanks, @Draggingtree

You just wait until the Big Zero focuses on this Syrian problem with his laser beam focus, recalibrating and recalculating.

As soon as he gets off the golf course

• Like 1

@Geee

@Draggingtree

Cease and desist with these alarming posts. The One World Order, the UN and Obama are all over this

/s

Whew. You just can't imagine how much BETTER that makes me feel!blink.png

• Like 1