4th of July Reflections: Freedom is Not for the Faint-Hearted

Valin

4th-of-July-Reflections-Freedom-is-Not-for-the-Faint-HeartedRicochet:

Dave Carter

4/3/12

"How do they do that?" I asked to no one in particular. I was driving across Massachusetts yesterday. While reveling in the lush beauty of the countryside and listening to Ray Charles sing America The Beautiful, I tried to imagine how it must have looked to inhabitants of the state, having won their independence from Great Britain, to emerge as free people. How boundless the possibilities must have seemed to those who had risked everything for their freedom, and won a victory that went directly against the strong tide of history where man is subjugated by other men. How open the world must have seemed to these people, the only boundaries being those of the imagination. But that didn't answer the question immediately at hand, which was, …how the heck do those little bushes grow straight up out of the giant rocks on the hillside? I mean, it was all I could do to stay in my lane while staring at those stupid boulders with stuff growing out of them!

But nature has unyielding determination, as did the people of Massachusetts who jealously guarded their liberty, becoming the 6th state to ratify the Constitution, on February 6, 1788, and the first state whose ratification included a list of proposed amendments to further protect against federal encroachment. The state that would become infamous as a breeding ground of evangelists for bigger government, listed as its first suggested amendment; "That it be explicitly declared that all powers not expressly delegated by the aforesaid Constitution are reserved to the several states, to be by them exercised."

How far we've come. How far, exactly? Compare some of the grievances listed in the Declaration of Independence, whose signing we commemorate, with recent news items:

(Snip)

I wonder what Sam Adams would say...and do?

• Like 1

Draggingtree

4th-of-July-Reflections-Freedom-is-Not-for-the-Faint-HeartedRicochet:
Dave Carter
4/3/12

"How do they do that?" I asked to no one in particular. I was driving across Massachusetts yesterday. While reveling in the lush beauty of the countryside and listening to Ray Charles sing America The Beautiful, I tried to imagine how it must have looked to inhabitants of the state, having won their independence from Great Britain, to emerge as free people. How boundless the possibilities must have seemed to those who had risked everything for their freedom, and won a victory that went directly against the strong tide of history where man is subjugated by other men. How open the world must have seemed to these people, the only boundaries being those of the imagination. But that didn't answer the question immediately at hand, which was, …how the heck do those little bushes grow straight up out of the giant rocks on the hillside? I mean, it was all I could do to stay in my lane while staring at those stupid boulders with stuff growing out of them!

But nature has unyielding determination, as did the people of Massachusetts who jealously guarded their liberty, becoming the 6th state to ratify the Constitution, on February 6, 1788, and the first state whose ratification included a list of proposed amendments to further protect against federal encroachment. The state that would become infamous as a breeding ground of evangelists for bigger government, listed as its first suggested amendment; "That it be explicitly declared that all powers not expressly delegated by the aforesaid Constitution are reserved to the several states, to be by them exercised."

How far we've come. How far, exactly? Compare some of the grievances listed in the Declaration of Independence, whose signing we commemorate, with recent news items:

(Snip)

I wonder what Sam Adams would say...and do?

Never underestimate the will of the American people!

"Give me liberty, or give me death!"- Patrick Henry, March 23, 1775

....Warren [MI] City Council voted 6-1 to approve an ammendment to an ordinance that would include a set of local fireworks safety ordinances.... Effective 2012 Jan 1, the Michigan Fireworks Safety Act permitted the sale and use of:

• 'roman candles'
  • bottle rockets
  • [products that leave the ground and explode]

[this is a major departure of Michigan law. 6 of 7 City Council members - as is Warren's mayor - are opposed]

...the proposed standards restrict the use of consumer fireworks within the city [of Warren, MI] outside of a three day period before, on, or after national holidays. State [Michigan] Law permits cities to enact ordinances curtailing the use of [legal] fireworks, but exempts those dates specifically. Warren [,MI]'s ordinance would prohibit fireworks between 2230 and 1130 on ALL days. [emphasis mine]

...the ordinance would make it a violation to ignite fireworks w/in 200' of a residential bulding, garage, vehicle, tree or bush. Warren City Council Secretary [scott Stevens] cast the lone vote against approving the first reading of the ordinance; he said that he'd push for changes ahead of a second reading that could put it on the books. [emphasis mine]. ...

Keith Sadowski.appreciates controlled displays. Such as those hosted by the city during the summer, [sadowski] has always been concerned by the safety of consumer fireworks. "I know the same care isn't being taken," Sadowski said, adding that fireworks exploding all summer long creates stress for the city's pets and some residents...

Stevens asked City Attorney James Biernat whether the proposed ordinance could be challenged legally.

"What we're trying to do is, we're trying to set the parameters as far out as we can set them and still survive," Biernat said. "The idea is that we do this in the best interests of the citizens and the children of this community."

Warren Mayor Jim Fouts has openly opposed the state's new firework's law, but said the city would stricly enforce its provisions...

[i'm guessing that over the course ot the last three weeks at least $250lk worth of fireworks were 'detonated'. I'm guessing that the evening of 12 Jul 4 between $250 - $750k was detonated within earshot]

... said that the three-day period during which cities are excluded from banning fireworks under the state law is too long to ensure adequate enforcement w/out police overtime. [The MI, Warren Mayor] has also chided state officials for enacting a law he said benefits the state through sales taxes and fireworks permit application fees w/out providing funds for streetlevel enforcements. "The state law is an absolute abomination, " said the Warren mayor [6 of 7 city council members agreeing with him] .

"I think its extremely important that this city take the initiative that we need to take and own up to some responsibilty when it comes to fireworks." "Its going to look like Baghdad at the peak of the Iraq war, the way things are going."

snip

AP Essay: In divided era, what does July 4th mean?

First hand I can tell all interested readers that the between 2200 & 2300 (local Waren, MI time) the sounds were about as near to what might be imagined to have occured at at Khe Sahn during the time of greatest trouble.

I'm going to find out how great an increase cost to the city 12 Jul 4 w/respect to the State Fireworks law; with that information I'm going to pitch my bitch against the mayor and 6 of seven Warren, MI City Council members.

Those guys are ALL commies [except for one]?

I'm just stunned how commie the town I live in is.