Josh Fox Skewers Governor Cuomo's Fracking Proposal

Valin

josh-fox-skewers-governor-cuomos-fracking-proposal#The Nation:

Peter Rothberg

June 27, 2012

Josh Fox’s 2010 documentary Gasland is an extraordinarily important film. Winner of the Special Jury Prize for Documentary at Sundance, where it premiered, Gasland, virtually on its own, helped expose an imminent threat to our drinking water and local environments. Detailing the gripping and awful story of how fracking became the dominant technology in US gas production, the film does an excellent job explaining exactly what hydraulic fracturing is and why it’s such a mortal threat.

Sadly, New York Governor Andrew Cuomo, a far-from-uncritical backer of the practice, failed to heed the film’s essential message that there’s no such thing as safe fracking. His proposal to permit fracking in counties in the southwest portion of the state, bordering Pennsylvania—Broome, Chenango, Steuben and Tioga counties—and only then in towns which agree to allow fracking—while banning the practice outright in Catskill Park, in aquifer areas, and in national designated historic districts, sounds, at first blush, like a compromise, but it actually puts New York State’s poorest and most vulnerable communities in the most peril and gives the gas industry much of what it wants.

Fox’s follow-up to Gasland, The Sky Is Pink, directly takes on Cuomo and shows exactly why his proposal is so regressive and dangerous. Called the “best 18-minute video ever made,” by Greenpeace’s Kevin Grandia, the new mini-doc reveals a slew of industry documents detailing serious concerns about well safety and water contamination and accessibly unpacks the increasing body of research, from both academics and intergovernmental agencies, that convincingly demontrates that *expanding the use of natural gas will do nothing to prevent climate change.

(Snip)

WE'RE ALL GONNA DIE! And of course its all Big Oils fault. In fact I woulldn't be surprised if they didn't want you to die, so they could get all your money!

OTOH....

Truthland

* I find myself in agreement..that expanding use of natural gas will do nothing to prevevent (cue the ominous music) climate change. Because our effect on the climate is minimal at best.

My My My You never know what you're gonna find...

EPA official who quit over 'crucify' remarks hired by green group

Sterling C. Beard

06/29/12

A former Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) official who resigned earlier this year for comparing his work to crucifixion has found new employment with a leading green group.

The Sierra Club on Friday announced that Al Armendariz would be joining the group’s “Beyond Coal” campaign next month as a senior representative.

“As a third generation Texan, I’m proud to be taking on this new role to help protect Texas,” Armendariz said in a statement released by Sierra Club.

(Snip)

H/T Hot Air

I wonder if there is any serious documentation of the actual problems in drink water, etc that can be attributed to hydraulic fracturing?