Small Victories in Arizona Immigration Decision

Geee

small-victories-in-arizona-immAmerican Spectator:

On Monday, the Supreme Court ruled that most of Arizona's controversial immigration law, SB1070, is preempted by federal jurisdiction over immigration policy. The Court upheld the part of the law that allows (or in some cases requires) police officers to check the immigration status of those they detain for other reasons. But even this aspect of the law was upheld narrowly (on grounds that it is too early to rule on whether it is preempted by federal law) and is likely to be subject to further challenge.

Within minutes, Arizona Governor Jan Brewer released a statement, which begins as follows:

Today's decision by the U.S. Supreme Court is a victory for the rule of law. It is also a victory for the 10th Amendment and all Americans who believe in the inherent right and responsibility of states to defend their citizens. After more than two years of legal challenges, the heart of SB 1070 can now be implemented in accordance with the U.S. Constitution.

The governor doth protest too little; it is not a great legal victory for Arizona.

There was a surprising consistency of reasonable characterization in "mainstream media" early reaction, such as the Washington Post calling the ruling a "partial victory" for the Obama administration, and a Phoenix CBS television station describing it as a "small victory." Even Reuters' initial analysis was entitled "High Court upholds key part of Arizona immigration law."

As if to rub salt in Arizona's wound, later on Monday the Obama administration ended what are known as "287 agreements" with Arizona which had effectively deputized local law enforcement officials to help implement federal immigration law. One can just hear Homeland Security Secretary Janet Napolitano cackling, "How does that 'victory' feel now, Jan?"

While both sides may claim they earned a minor victory, the larger legal victory was the administration's. The bigger question is the political impact. With a majority of Americans in favor of the Arizona law but a majority of Hispanics against it, the result looks to be a mixed bag, though more likely a negative among the large and critical bloc of independent "swing" voters -- if the Republicans and Mitt Romney gain the skill and courage to use the issue to their advantage.Scissors-32x32.png

Small? I'd say nano would be closer.

If it were me I'd publish a memo telling Az. Law Enforcement to cease all cooperation with Homeland Security. and that from now on the State of Az. is going to be monitoring DHS very closely to ensure they follow the rules and regulations...to the letter.

• Like 1

logicnreason

More of the same.

Not more than 10 days ago, the stain made law by presidential fiat. The right (mostly) and that sorry former judge napolitano all ran around screaming, shouting, whooping, and setting their collective hair on fire regarding the "illegality" of what the stain did.

Anyone yet see anything from the right (including that old windbag napolitano) suggesting taking action against what they all assert to be illegal??

No.

Surprise, surprise, surprise!

So....may we conclude that a) what the stain did wasn't illegal at all, or B) that the right is far too cowardly to stand on principle and law and take legal action?

hmm...mixed emotions on this one.

Whereas I am disappointed that Arizona has to fight this illegal mess with their hands tied behind their backs, I'm not so sure the courts made the wrong call.

The problem is not that we needed more law, it is that the feds won't enforce the laws that are already on the books.

The thing Arizona needs to do now is ride the feds like there is no tomorrow and MAKE them do their job.

This latest directive by Bambi is where I'd start.

Just my 2 cents, I know this flies in direct conflict with most conservative opinion.

• Like 1

Arizona did not ultimately win in this decision

Obama gave the people of Arizona the finger.

Today: Rush calls it Soviet style intimidation, kicking Arizona out of the border enforcement business.

"Instead, Obama has sent a special delivery special express letter to smugglers, etc that the border is wide open. "We have cleared the decks for you."

"In fact we encourage you to get picked up by a cop because we want the cop punished.

"Arizona is wide open for all of you" -- Rush

PS @Evad

The feds are directed now by Obama NOT to do their job - that is the problem.

Draggingtree

I think it’s a big win in Arizona's by how the Obama administration is re-acting and all I can do is LMFAO.gif at them.

On Rush today...

there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant:

There are illegal aliens..

There are invaders..

But, immigrants are not illegal.

On Rush today...

there is no such thing as an illegal immigrant:

There are illegal aliens..

There are invaders..

But, immigrants are not illegal.

Perhaps the myth of Statute of Liberty needs to be dispelled; it being absolutely abhorent to the American ethos and very essence being un-Consitutional.

I believe that until the Coast Guard begins putting 50mm holes into rafts floating in from extra-American countries, and large tonnage of toxic waste is dropped from the air along the N & S United States of America border: nobody's going to take anybody seriously.

I'm saying from Mexico border to 120 mi N and from Canada border 150 mi is a no-go zone: ALL industrial waste known to man is dumped within those zones.

Resident-alien status for ALL illegal immigrated adolescents having B+ or better grade point w/out ANY arrests.

Nobody ever wanted a bunch of famine refugee's in this counry living in slums. That sentiment holds true to this day.

Furthermore, the very few people that ever did manage to make something of themselves pales comparison to the damage that the massive amount of immigrants did to the United States of America by immigrating as destitute and indigent and the drain on American welfare / social resources.

@Valin @Evad

In the interest of our economy, the government Tattle Tale Hotline for do gooders to rat on the Arizona police who enforce immigration law should be combined with the Marriage Donations Hotline where in lieu of traditional wedding gifts Love Offerings are made to Saint Obama.

Press 1 for Deportation

Press 666 for Obama

@Valin @Evad

In the interest of our economy, the government Tattle Tale Hotline for do gooders to rat on the Arizona police who enforce immigration law should be combined with the Marriage Donations Hotline where in lieu of traditional wedding gifts Love Offerings are made to Saint Obama.

Press 1 for Deportation

Press 666 for Obama

Brilliant!

OTOH this cause some poor deserving left wing reformer to lose their job. And remember this administration is all about jobs.

@Valin @Evad

Press 1 for Deportation

Press 666 for Obama

LOL...absolutely!

OR..

0 for Dear Leader. They may not know how to punch 666biggrin.png