Why Aren’t You a Democrat?

Valin

why-arent-you-a-democratHot Air: Amy Lutz

6/25/12

Today is my birthday. However, I was treated to an early birthday present in the form of a wonderfully hilarious YouTube video. Over the weekend, this campaign video from Ryan Combe of Utah was plastered all over my Facebook news feed from my left leaning friends. So, naturally, I had to see what all the fuss was about. I wanted to fill my brain with the incredible liberal logic (an oxymoron, I know) that my friends claimed this video represented. While I couldn’t locate the intelligent logic, I did enjoy the video, though perhaps not for the same reasons.

This campaign video details a conversation between a college-aged boy and his “Proud Republican” parents. At the onset of the video, the boy breaks the news to his parents that he is a Democrat. In false stereotypical fashion, both parents break into hysterics. Besides the comedic value, what I enjoyed about this campaign video was its reliance upon typical Republican stereotypes and flimsy liberal arguments. It’s basically a minute and a half of the liberal platform complete with easily debunked planks. Naturally, I could not resist taking this video down a peg by taking on each of the son’s flimsy liberal arguments about his party-switch. Arguments like this:

(Snip)

I guess the implication here is that Republicans do not care about the less fortunate? Just because you have two different approaches toward relieving poverty does not imply that one side does not care about the poor. Ideologically, the main difference between conservative and liberal approaches to poverty is the source of the assistance. Liberals tend to believe that government should have a large hand in assisting the poor while conservatives put more of our stock into private charity. The conservative argument was clearly articulated long ago by Benjamin Franklin who stated, “I am for doing good to the poor, but I differ in opinion of the means. I think the best way of doing good to the poor, is not making them easy in poverty, but leading or driving them out of it.” Perhaps that seems harsh to many liberals. However, it’s nothing more than common sense. Conservatives favor “hand-ups” not “hand-outs.” The liberal solution to poverty is perhaps more harmful to those living below that poverty line than the conservative solution. How will someone ever rise above their situation if they are made comfortable with numerous welfare handouts?

(Snip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NnpBFxvLxJE

Why am I not a Democrat? thinking.gif I have a IQ 4 points higher than a flatworm? Because Dick Cheney has control of my soul? Condi Rice is Hot, and I'm holding out hope? I hate poor people? When we take over the world i get Toledo Ohio? Just a couple of possibilities I throw out.

Democrats...Make me an offer. I'm not cheap and easy...but I can be bought...or at least rented.