ARMY’S FIRST FEMALE DIVISION DEPUTY COMMANDER NAMED

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

newsSoliders Magazine:

Army’s first female division deputy commander named

Story by Christie Vanover, III Corps Public Affairs

Richardson1.jpg

Brig. Gen. Laura Richardson, commanding general Operational Test Command, addresses a crowd during her promotion ceremony March 9. Richardson has been selected to serve as the Army's first female division deputy commander. She will take over as a deputy commanding general for the 1st Cavalry Division in her next assignment. (Photo by William C. Bunce, Fort Hood DPTMS-VI)

FORT HOOD, Texas – One week after pinning on her first star, the Army Chief of Staff announced that Brig. Gen. Laura Richardson will become the Army’s first female to serve as a division deputy commander.

Richardson, who is currently the commanding general for the U.S. Army Operational Test Command at Fort Hood, will take over as a deputy commanding general for the 1st Cavalry Division in her next assignment.

The general is no stranger to the cavalry. The aviation officer served as a company commander in the 6th Cavalry Brigade in the mid-1990s.

“The cavalry throughout the history of the United States Army is rich with tradition, esprit de corps and accomplishment,” Richardson said. “It’s a great honor and privilege to once again be part of the cavalry, and I look forward to serving with the Soldiers of the 1st Cavalry Division.”

Although the Army chief of staff’s March 9 announcement was historical for women and coincidentally made during Women’s History Month, Richardson said she is humbled by the opportunity.

“Each of my assignments — from platoon leader to company commander to the commanding general of the Operational Test Command — has challenged me to learn and excel as a Soldier and a leader,” she said. “I am as excited about being one of the 1st Cavalry Division’s deputy division commanders as I was about being a company commander in the 6th Cavalry Brigade.” Scissors-32x32.png Read More http://soldiers.dodl.../category/news/