‘ANGRY’ MONEY GIVES FUNDING EDGE TO GOP AND ROMNEY

Geee

michael-barone-angry-money-gives-funding-edge-to-gop-and-romneyHuman Events:

There has been a lot of wailing and gnashing of teeth as, in the spring, it appeared that forces supporting Mitt Romney would be able to raise about as much money as those supporting Barack Obama. There's even more now that it seems likely that the pro-Romney side will raise and spend more money than the pro-Obama side.

Four years ago, the Obama forces heavily outspent those supporting John McCain. The Obama campaign had enough money to target -- and carry -- heretofore Republican states like North Carolina and Indiana.

That experience made the Democrats spoiled. The prospect that the other side would have as much money as they do struck them as a cosmic injustice. The prospect that it would have more -- heaven forfend!

They like to blame this situation on the Supreme Court's 2010 Citizens United decision, which allows corporations and unions to spend money on political speech. They did so even after their defeat in the June 5 Wisconsin recall election, in which Citizens United had no effect because fundraising was governed by state campaign finance laws.

What's really interesting is that, if current projections are right, this will be the third election in a row in which the party holding the White House will be outspent by the opposition.

In 2004, incumbent Republican George W. Bush's side was outspent narrowly by those opposing him and favoring Democrat John Kerry. One reason is heavy spending by billionaire George Soros, about which we heard few complaints from those now decrying the billionaire Koch brothers' spending as a threat to democracy.

In 2008, Barack Obama broke his promise to rely on public financing and raised and spent about $750 million. About half as much was spent on behalf of John McCain, who accepted public financing.

Now, despite the clout any incumbent president has, Democrats are likely to be outspent by Republicans.

Scissors-32x32.png

logicnreason

As for defeating the stain, and if it true that money buys election results, then the right will gladly accept money from individuals, PACS, businesses, corporations, moonmen, aliens, gold and silver miners, professional art thieves, ice salesmen, girl and boy scouts, billionaires, millionaires, thousandaires, hundredaires, unemployed, under employed, transients, foreign governments, dictators, doctors, and puppy mills.

Everything and anything to defeat and eradicate the stain!

logicnreason

As for defeating the stain, and if it true that money buys election results,

1mTBC.jpg

Ring a bell?

Sadly....it do!

@logicnreason

Obviously money is a factor in determining who will winan election, but it is only one factor. We can find any number of examples where a someone got into a race with a big bag-o-money, and went no where. Al Checchi comes to mind.

He would have never come to my mind. You have an encyclopedic mind, @Valin. I wish I could remember just 1/4 of what goes in (and obviously right out of) my mind.

• Like 1

He would have never come to my mind. You have an encyclopedic mind, @Valin. I wish I could remember just 1/4 of what goes in (and obviously right out of) my mind.

I am stealing a page from the 4th best President's 2012 campaign and am founding the White People For Me committee!

Because

all_about_me_sticker-p217630019532924870b2o35_400.jpg

I can get you in on the ground floor of this very important non-partisan movement for the low low price of only $482,771.57...in small bills...Act Today!

• Like 2