'You are not special,' English teacher tells graduating Massachusetts students

Valin

12128448-you-are-not-special-english-teacher-tells-graduating-massachusetts-studentsMSNBC:

Sevil Omer

6/9/12

One English teacher had a message for this year's graduates of Wellesley High School in Wellesley, Mass.: They aren’t special.

In addition to exhorting the Class of 2012 to pursue distinctive lives, Wellesley High School English teacher David McCullough delivered some sobering words: “None of you is special. You are not special. You are not exceptional.”

(Snip)

McCullough rattled off statistics, saying numbers were stacking up against the graduating class. He said half of the class would be divorced and life wasn’t going to revolve around their every whim.

(Snip)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vvXaWZxyLaM

I hope this is not the 1st time these kids heard this message...otherwise we can expect to see them at an Occupy Rally.

This was a fabulous speech. Good for him.

Out here in the real world...we keep score...and there are no points awarded for just showing up.

pollyannaish

Out here in the real world...we keep score...and there are no points awarded for just showing up.

Another precious little snowflakes moment.

I have to say, what are children are being taught scares me. The world is harsh. Things ten things I wish kids today were taught.

1. You can work hard and do the right thing...and not get great results.

2. You have a better chance of succeeding if you work hard, but there are no guarantees. The only guarantee is that you damage your own chances by not working hard.

3. Life is not fair. You will be happier if you count the times when you came out on the LONG end of the stick rather than the short end.

4. Choices have consequences and consequences only offer more choices. Learn to live with that.

5. You do not control the things that happen to you and no one can. You CAN control your response and that is called being responsible.

6. Victims have responsibilities too. Being a victim of something does not give you a free pass to anything.

7. No one owes you anything, but you owe others everything.

8. You decide where your own limits are, but you can't force others to agree with you. It's a dance.

9. Following your dreams isn't always possible. You should try but if it doesn't work, find a new dream. Learn to adapt.

10. Being rich is as big a job as being poor.

Edited for clarity.

Rush spent quite a bit of time on this yesterday.... It really stoked him up!

It really scares me today hearing some parents go so over the top in praise of their kids for everything that they do

"Oh Timmy, that was so good... The way that you break wind is exceptional."

Another precious little snowflakes moment.

I have to say, what are children are being taught scares me. The world is harsh. Things ten things I wish kids today were taught.

1. You can work hard and do the right thing...and not get great results.

2. You have a better chance of succeeding if you work hard, but there are no guarantees. The only guarantee is that you damage your own chances by not working hard.

3. Life is not fair. You will be happier if you count the times when you came out on the LONG end of the stick rather than the short end.

4. Choices have consequences and consequences only offer more choices. Learn to live with that.

5. You do not control the things that happen to you and no one can. You CAN control your response and that is called being responsible.

6. Victims have responsibilities too. Being a victim of something does not give you a free pass to anything.

7. No one owes you anything, but you owe others everything.

8. You decide where your own limits are, but you can't force others to agree with you. It's a dance.

9. Following your dreams isn't always possible. You should try but if it doesn't work, find a new dream. Learn to adapt.

10. Being rich is as big a job as being poor.

Edited for clarity.

RADICAL CONCEPT ALERT!

It really scares me today hearing some parents go so over the top in praise of their kids for everything that they do

The one I am always hearing is, "Good job, Timmy! Good job!" Doesn't matter what Timmy did -- if he did it he did a good job.

The one I am always hearing is, "Good job, Timmy! Good job!" Doesn't matter what Timmy did -- if he did it he did a good job.

I'm sure mom said that to me..sometime..I suppose. Mainly what I remember was mom saying "The world doesn't owe you a living." This is the kind of message you get from people who lose two children in childbirth or pneumonia, have their farm wiped out in the depression. At the risk of sounding like a geezer, people have no idea. I must have been (?)8-9 years old, and someone was talking about how wonderful and simple life used to be...well Gram was not a woman to suffer fools well..or for long. I don't remember exactly what she said but she (being born in 1872) set the record straight, in the strongest terms.

3." Life is not fair. You will be happier if you count the times when you came out on the LONG end of the stick rather than the short end."

I always told my kids the only people who are going to be fair to you are your mom and dad.

No one else cares whether it's fair or not.

Sounds a bit harsh but still true.

pollyannaish

Oh I don't think most kids are bad at all! I think they know exactly what has happened and are DESPERATE for truth and tools and real achievement. They have just been handicapped by the rest of us who so diligently tried to "make life easier" for them.

I distinctly remember watching a news special many years ago where a reporter took those old "etiquette" movies from the 50s to inner city high schools. The reporter's attitude was "look at the crap we saved you guys from" and then he showed the movies. To his shock, these hardened street kids actually had tears in their eyes at the end of the movies. I will never forget the statement of one of them.

"No one has ever bothered to teach me how to be a good person and what to do." That has stuck with me ever since then.

When I was teaching, both at the college level and preschool level I quickly discovered that the best kids were the once that I took the time to sit down and tell them like it is. No whipped cream, no dodging...just straightforward, caring truth.

We've failed these kids. Our intentions were good, but the outcome is rotten. Time for a do over.