Bacteria a real threat to anglers

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

319642Galveston Daily News:

Bacteria a real threat to anglers

By Joe Kent

Correspondent

Published June 4, 2012

Each year, the Reel Report tells about some of the dangers for fishermen. While sharks tend to be a danger most people think of, they are the least of anglers’ worries.

A hazard that takes more lives than sharks on the coast is the deadly flesh-eating bacteria Vibro vulnificus. Each year, there are several cases reported, and a few die from the infection. As a coastal fishing writer, I feel I would be remiss in not addressing this at least once each summer.

Although medical experts say there is only a slim chance of infection, I have known two victims. One, a well-known Houston dentist died from the infection and the other, a cousin of a friend in Victoria, survived a living hell during his recovery.

Experts say the only people at risk are those with immune system disorders or diabetics; the individuals I knew did not fit into either category. Before getting alarmed, let’s take a look at how the infection occurs and the places with the highest odds of exposure.

These infections almost always occur during the summer months, and the most likely spots are Scissors-32x32.pnghttp://galvestondailynews.com/story/319642