The G.O.P.’s Gay Trajectory

Geee

the-gops-gay-trajectory.html?_r=1NY Times:

OVER the past year, the main story line in the push for marriage equality has been the ardor and success with which leading Democratic politicians have taken up the fight. The Democratic governors of New York, Maryland and Washington all promoted and signed same-sex marriage laws, for which President Obama expressed his support last month.

But the progress within Republican ranks has also been pivotal, not to mention fascinating. And a compelling character in that subplot just added a new twist to the narrative, one that suggests the rapidly changing political dynamics of this issue and its potential import to a party dogged by an image of being culturally out of touch.

That character is Paul E. Singer, 67, a billionaire hedge fund manager who is among the most important Republican donors nationwide. In just one Manhattan fund-raiser last month, he helped to collect more than $5 million for Mitt Romney’s presidential campaign.

He steadfastly supports conservative candidates. He also steadfastly supports gay rights in general and marriage equality in particular. Along with a few other leading Wall Street financiers, he contributed and helped drum up the majority of the money — more than $1 million — that fueled the campaign for same-sex marriage in New York.

He has given nearly $10 million of his own money to gay-rights initiatives, including the same-sex marriage efforts not only in New York but also in New Hampshire and New Jersey. And that figure doesn’t include his assistance in tapping a broad network of donors for individual candidates. He was pivotal in rounding up about $250,000 apiece for the Republican state senators in New York whose votes for same-sex marriage provided its margin of victory in the Legislature.

Now, Singer says, he’s providing $1 million to start a new “super PAC” with several Republican compatriots. Named American Unity PAC, its sole mission will be to encourage Republican candidates to support same-sex marriage, in part by helping them to feel financially shielded from any blowback from well-funded groups that oppose it.

Scissors-32x32.png

saveliberty

I only know HillBuzz, and yes, it's still around. Kevin hasn't posted in a while and that is very worrying as Tamminator wrote that he may be very ill.

righteousmomma

Yes, Hillbuzzz is going strong. As for Kevin I missed about him being ill but about every year he disappears awhile it seems so I just thought he was "away".

saveliberty

It looks as though he is in need of some friends. According to this, he is being punished for expressing conservative views:

Send Kevin Some Hugs

Posted on April 13, 2011 by Kathleen Gee // Hillbuzz

Screen-shot-2011-04-14-at-4.00.45-PM.png?cda6c1

Kevin DuJan, Editor and Publisher | Hillbuzz.org

The Hillbuzz community is awe-inspiring. Recently, when Kevin asked for help with his friend Cassie, Hillbuzz readers sent her (and Kevin) prayers and advice from all over the world. And Kevin is convinced that those prayers have saved Cassie’s life–and probably others, too.

As one of the team who has been working to launch Hillbuzz 3.0, I’d like to again come to the Hillbuzz community and ask you for prayers and support.

Though Kevin couldn’t be more excited about taking Hillbuzz to the next level, this whole process has been pretty exhausting and stressful for him. He’s also a little overwhelmed with the complexity of the new site (it’s waaaaay complicated behind the scenes, and Kevin’s still figuring his way around.)

pollyannaish

Honestly I wish all this gay stuff would go away for right now. It is too complicated, divisive and immaterial. If I were Mitt Romney I think I would say this from here on out; I have stated my viewsamy times before. But right now we need to focus on what Unites America and that is turning our economy around and focusing on providing the opportunities our founding fathers believes every American is entitled to. This is not a gay or straight, male or female, black, brown or white issue. This is an all of us togeter American issue. And I believe that if I can work with the congress and senate to get out if your way, your innovation and can do spirit will make this country's economy strong and vibrant. YOU make Ameica great: straight and gay, male and female, every color and creed. Let's work on that and leave these other issues until we can get the most important thing done. "

And that's it. Don't let the left blind us to the forest by distracting us with trees.

• Like 1