The Slick Genius of Slick Willie

Valin

?singlepage=trueVodkapundit:

Stephen Green

6/7/12

“When your enemy is angry, irritate him.”

-Sun Tzu

There are differing versions, even different attributions, of that dictum, probably because of its timeless truth. An angry enemy makes mistakes. An annoyed and angry enemy will flip out. And nobody was better at annoying the angry than Bill Clinton — even if he had to first make them angry himself. While president, Clinton thrived on making conservatives and Republicans angry. Red-faced, spittle-covered mad. Clinton, written off for dead at the end of ’94, coasted to reelection just two years later, thanks in no small part to his ability to irritate the Right.

I watched him do it to the GOP — to me! — almost daily for eight years. I knew exactly what he was doing, and why. And yet I still fell for it. Every time. Almost all of us did. You gotta bow to the master.

Advertisement

You can imagine then that the West Wing must be reeling this week, after a series of irritating little shivs Clinton slid into their backs over the last few days.

(Snip)

righteousmomma

"Word salad"

See the porch.

Though in Clinton's case IMO this is all finely crafted and intentional.

righteousmomma

Out of favor with the O and "dead" to them according to some report .

Apparently his apology was too slow and not enough to satisfy the powers that be. Clinton is in a different league and has nothing to loose.

Searching for a surrogate

Why does Obama need to rely on Bill Clinton?

Jonah Goldberg

6/8/12

(Snip)Most of the pundits have focused on Clinton’s motivations for refusing to read his lines from the White House script. That’s understandable given that Clinton is a one-man reality show whose diversity of motives makes the ladies of the Real Housewives franchise seem nun-like in their simplicity.

(Snip)

Still, the more interesting question is: Why does Obama need Clinton to be his Surrogate Numero Uno in the first place?

(Snip)

It’s a fascinating weakness of this presidency: Obama has no reliable surrogates. Joe Biden is the vice president, and 90 percent of his job description is to be a carnival barker for his boss. But, particularly since Biden forced the president’s hand on gay marriage, it’s apparently dawned on the White House that Biden is less than dependable as a wingman. Sure, he might begin a statement by saying, “This president saved us from another Great Depression.” But you never know if he’ll finish by adding, “My neighbor has three rabbits,” or, “These are not my pants.”

The president has tried to be his own surrogate, personally going on the attack against Romney. But all that does is remind voters that Obama doesn’t want to talk about his own record — and further diminishes his tattered bipartisan brand.

(Snip)

Love the Jonah Goldberg piece. Love this whole aspect of the campaign -- Obama/Slick Willie. I never dreamed there would be moments to laugh at. No surrogates for Obama. How sad.

@Valin

Clinton does not look well - maybe suffering from a lifetime of unknown but close encounters.

I think he is just concentrating on keeping his weight down after the scares with heart problems. It proves he can exercise self-control if he really wants to....

Love the Jonah Goldberg piece. Love this whole aspect of the campaign -- Obama/Slick Willie. I never dreamed there would be moments to laugh at. No surrogates for Obama. How sad.

He has plenty of surrogates Nancy Pelosi, Debbie Wasserman Schultz, the dynamic duo of politics Anna Wintour, Sarah Jessica Parker, Vladimir Putin. I mean we're talkin a heavy weight all star A list cast! I would say what others think but I for one am IMPRESSED!

• Like 1