San Diego And San Joe Approve Pension Cuts In A Landslide Vote

Valin

san-diego-and-san-joe-approve-pension-cuts-2012-6Business Insider: AP

6/6/12

SAN DIEGO (AP) — Voters in two major California cities overwhelmingly approved cuts to retirement benefits for city workers in what supporters said was a mandate that may lead to similar ballot initiatives in other states and cities that are struggling with mounting pension obligations.

(Snip)

"The public is frustrated," said San Diego Councilman Carl DeMaio, a Republican who staked his mayoral bid on the pension measure and advanced to a November runoff in Tuesday's election to lead the nation's eighth-largest city.

(Snip)

"The voters get it, they understand what needs to be done," said San Jose Mayor Chuck Reed, a Democrat who has called pensions his highest priority.

(Snip)

ohmy.png California!

My goodness... the Granola State is turning cruel and heartless.

What a they doing to all of those selfless public servants?

My goodness... the Granola State is turning cruel and heartless.

What a they doing to all of those selfless public servants?

This could another sign of the End Times! laugh.png

clearvision

Need to deal with salaries and ability to "pump up" pensions first. These great civil servants go out of their way to work anything extra their last year as pensions are based on last year salary. My uncle was also saying (on my visit to San Jose last weekend) that they do everything to retire with a disability claim as that lowers tax implications or has some other benefit.