Twice as fast as Concorde: ...London to New York in TWO HOURS

raygun

article-2008607-0CC0BAEA00000578-881_964x422.jpgDaily Mail UK:

Twice as fast as Concorde: The supersonic jet that will fly from London to New York in TWO HOURS

By Daily Mail Reporter

UPDATED: 16:27 EST, 27 June 2011

A jet that can fly from London to Sydney in three and a half hours could rob Concorde of its title as the fastest-ever passenger plane.

Plans have been unveiled for the Hypermach SonicStar, a business jet which will be capable of a top speed of 2,664mph – twice as fast as Concorde.

It will fly at 62,000ft, allowing passengers to see the curvature of the earth.

Hypermach chief executive Richard Lugg wants the plane in the skies within ten years and has already secured funding from the Department of Trade and Industry, which has agreed to support the company in Britain.

EXERPT: read entire article & cool-guy pix at above link.

The entire plane is chock full of geee whiz-bang cool-guy stuff, e.g., the engine technology (from the abov cited article):

A spokesman said: 'The engine is a true hybrid. It generates massive electrical power on board using proprietary integrated turbine electromagnetic generation technology to segment each engine rotating component stage electrically.

'Every stage from bypass fans to compressor to turbine, rotates independently of the other.'

This segmentation will enable the engine to change the operating speeds of its rotating components continually throughout the flight to respond to the changing conditions of the atmosphere and the flight and performance demands of the aircraft.

HyperMach claims that this, along with the S-MAGJET plasma fuel combustion technology, will result in a 40 to 50 per cent increase in the ability of the engine to convert fuel to thrust.

All sounds pretty gee-whiz-bang and very cool guy, right? Here's the money quote in the above article:

By using electromagnetic currents across the fuselage to suppress the sonic boom, the plane is able to overcome the noise regulations that constrict supersonic travel.

There are several inconsistencies in the above cited article; I thought I'd have send a personal correspondance of derision to Daily Mail Reporter - who the hell would name their kid Daily Mail Reporter anways for crying out loud - of their intense need to attend some remedial physics courses because they obviously absolutely do NOT understand the physics of sonic boom.

Well, not so fast. What they're essentially planning on doing is create a 'warp' bubble around the plane; IAS at operational FL620 will be > M0.8 & <M1.2 (TAS of M3.2).

Furthermore, the service ceiling of the aircraft will be FL850 (TAS M3.8).

That notwithstanding, here's the dealy-o-daddy-oh:

Lines of Energy Deposition for

Supersonic/Hypersonic Temperature/Drag-

Reduction and Vehicle Control

SOURCE: paper by

Dr. Kevin Kremeyer

C/o Physics, Materials, and Applied Mathematics Research, L.L.C.

1665 E. 18th Street, Suite 112

Tucson, AZ, 85719

File linky: 531 KB PDF

The money paragraph in the above paper:

Hypersonic and supersonic vehicles/missiles generate shock waves, which are

accompanied by a host of technical challenges. These include increased drag, sonic boom, and

destructively high temperatures and pressures on their airframe and components. “Suddenly

heating” an extended path of air, ahead of the shock wave and along the vehicle’s velocity

vector, results in rapid expansion of the heated air. This creates a long, hot, low-density core,

into which the vehicle’s shock wave expands, followed by the vehicle itself (Figure 1c). This

deposition is occurs in pulsed fashion, being repeated when each core has been traversed and

the ambient air is once again encountered by the vehicle. Strategically heating extended

regions of gas ahead of the vehicle can therefore mitigate the shock wave, as well as its

deleterious effects. Also, since the vehicle will preferentially fly along the low-density

channel, (e.g. be partially steered by it), adjusting the direction/position of the hot core

formation can be utilized as a method of control (Figure 2).

The supersonic jet that will fly from London to New York in TWO HOURS

Dang, cuts down on the drinks you can have on a flight. ha.

cool posting. thanks.

Look it up. They unveiled plans for a 20 seater SST business jet to be operational within the next decade.

The detailed tech specs for the aircraft are nothing short of incredible.

I can set all that aside as being absolutely inconsequential - as if - and I'm absoluteloy staggered by the "electromagnetic" sonic-boom suppression.

The physics of that can be found in the paper at the link I cited at PM & AMR, LLC

• Like 1

Quite frankly I was immensly skeptical of the artical I recieved from Mom in eMail. It took some digging to find that the source most likely can be attributed to the source I cited. I used up some legs to find said link (as I desired to share this information with the forum members here if any measure of veracity could be established).

Much to my chagrin there are so MANY inconsistancies I was ready to write this off as hoax...

That is, until I found the link to the paper I cited. Now I'm fairly certain that they're holding all the technical details fairly close to the vest.

My imagination runs amok with respect to technoligical hurdles needing surmounting, but IF they can get this aircraft to pass FAA certification by 2022, my guess is that every single aircraft in the world that is near transonic will implement some form of the 'warp-bubble' sonic-boom suppression technology.

One thing that I imagine the artists overlooked when making the images for the cited Daily Mail UK article: the little verticle fins on the edge of the wing-tips are missing.

pollyannaish

So will the seats still be miniscule? I was stunned at how tiny the interior of the Concorde is. It's for little people, I swear!