Big &#%!ing Joker

Geee

big-ing-joker-jonah-goldbergNational Review:

An August 26, 2008, Politico story began: “During his first full day of solo campaigning, newly minted Democratic vice presidential candidate Joe Biden showed some of the flashes of the hyperbole, exaggerations and quips that Republicans are hoping to use to paint him as a loose cannon.”

For instance?

According to Kenneth Vogel, the reporter, the elder statesman of the Democratic party thanked God that one of his audiences was mostly female. “He also said he didn’t care about the press, that Obama has a ‘sixth sense’ and Delaware Gov. Ruth Ann Minner has ‘the most incredible story in American politics,’ that he and Barack Obama had ‘the most incredible opportunity . . . since Franklin Roosevelt.’ And he choked up a handful of times, once wiping away tears after proclaiming that having a chance to be vice president pales in comparison to representing Delaware in the Senate.”

He also proclaimed that Michelle Obama’s convention speech was “the most remarkable speech I have heard in my life” and prophesied that it would propel the Obama-Biden ticket to victory.

Now, on the standard-issue Biden-o-Meter that I have been carrying around like a post-apocalyptic Geiger counter, measuring the parts per billion of asininity, some of these comments don’t even move the needle. Still, it was pretty good for a day’s work, especially considering that Biden had already given the gaffe-watch industry some much-needed stimulus when he introduced his running mate for the first time as “Barack America.”

And these statements do capture at least one band in the glorious rainbow that is Biden-speak, specifically its use of the utmost superlative and the exaggeratedly hyperbolic. Governor Minner, at least according to her Wikipedia page, does have a nice rags-to-riches background, but is hers really the “most incredible story in American politics”? (The Republican presidential candidate at the time had spent years being tortured in a bamboo tiger cage while refusing to take early release.) I went back and read Michelle Obama’s convention speech. It, too, was nice. But I don’t think the myriad books written about the 2008 election need to be rewritten to account for the way her remarks catapulted the ticket to victory. Biden’s rhetoric often sounds like a stoned teenager talking about food. “Dude, these Cheetos are the best-tasting things ever!”

Scissors-32x32.png

you know I think Joe Biden would be very pleasant for chatting at a dinner partner or other social "whatever". I shake my head that politically he has come the distance we observe.

you know I think Joe Biden would be very pleasant for chatting at a dinner partner or other social "whatever".

He comes across that way, but I am always skeptical of politicians who portray themselves as just a regular Joe....a man/woman of the People.

pollyannaish
“Nobody messes with Joe!” he yelled, stopping just short of turning around and giving Biden a noogie.

Bwahahaha! Fun article. Literally.

SrWoodchuck

Jonah uses Biden the Ninnyhammer, himself; to nail his blathering VP-ness.

BTW: I think it's a pity that they don't teach cursive like this, anymore:

Big %!ing JokerJonah Goldberg