The Dohrn Connection

Geee

dohrn-connection-robert-verbruggenNational Review:

Comments 0

Bernardine Dohrn has a history with the Justice Department. More specifically, in the early 1970s, she was one of the FBI’s most wanted fugitives because of her actions with the Weather Underground, a violent radical organization.

Times have changed. In 2010 and 2011, the Justice Department saw fit to give $400,000 in grants to an organization that lists Dohrn as a member of its board of directors: a $150,000 grant in September of 2010 and a $250,000 grant a year later.

The organization that received the grants is the W. Haywood Burns Institute, and the project that brought in the money is the Juvenile Detention Alternatives Initiative. JDAI aims to keep juvenile criminals out of “secure confinement” and to reduce racial disparities in the juvenile justice system.

Advertisement

As a prominent figure in the Weather Underground — which was initially known as simply “Weatherman” — Dohrn helped lead the “Days of Rage” Chicago riot, and during her tenure the group was responsible for numerous bombings of government buildings. Although Dohrn has never renounced her past, her various legal troubles are behind her: She served some probation, several charges were dismissed, and she spent some time in jail for refusing to cooperate with an investigation. She’s now a law professor at Northwestern University, and her husband, fellow Weather Underground co-founder William Ayers, is a retired English professor at the University of Illinois at Chicago.

The Burns Institute’s name comes from a man who himself exemplified the blend of civil-rights activism, academic prestige, and radical politics that defines the group today. W. Haywood Burns worked with Martin Luther King Jr. during the civil-rights movement and eventually became the dean of the law school at Queens College. He also was married to Bernardine Dohrn’s sister, Jennifer, and he “represented the black radical Angela Davis against charges of kidnapping and murder, and coordinated the defense for inmates indicted in the Attica prison riot,” as the New York Times noted in his 1996 obituary.Scissors-32x32.png

I was so naive in college. (still am to a degree). These people were operating while I was in gymnastic competitions and out on botany field excursions in college. I knew of them & they scared me to be honest. I was glad I was at "safe" Kent State, where we had a few "underground" people who were very evident by their dress. Back then the gals still dressed in a feminine attire(skirts) and men were neatly dressed. NO ONE wore jeans.. but the underground crowd did.. their look then is the grunge look now.

The fact they worked into responsible positions to me doesn't belie the fact they are now what they were then, just working in the system

"The fact they worked into responsible positions to me doesn't belie the fact they are now what they were then, just working in the system"

Uh, you mean like president of the United States?blink.pngwink.png

• Like 1

"The fact they worked into responsible positions to me doesn't belie the fact they are now what they were then, just working in the system"

Uh, you mean like president of the United States?blink.pngwink.png

You mean just as they had planned to do. This was in the works since the 50's and they have succeeded thus far to make it happen.

• Like 1