Arraignment of 9/11 Mastermind Went Predictably Well

Valin

51954The Atlantic:

Connor Simpson

5/5/12

Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, the 9/11 mastermind, and four co-conspirators were brought in front of a judge for an arraignment on Saturday, and things went about as well as one would expect. The arraignment was the first step in the trial eleven years in the making for the five credited with the 9/11 attacks. During Saturday's proceedings Mohammed refused to answer any of the judge's questions and the defense lawyers complained about the way their clients were being treated.

From the AP's recap:

One prisoner, Walid bin Attash was put in a restraint chair for unspecified reasons, while lawyers for all defendants complained that the prisoners were prevented from wearing the civilian clothes of their choice and the self-described architect of the attacks, Khalid Shaikh Mohammed, refused to respond to questions.

The judge didn't buy Mohammed's lawyer's defense of his client's silence. After Mohammed's lawyer said he thinks Mohammed wouldn't speak because he believes the tribunal to be unfair, the judge responded, "One cannot choose not to participate and frustrate the normal course of business." The defendants didn't enter a plea on Saturday. The case is being tried by a military commission, so typically, "the judge reads the charges, makes sure the accused understand their rights and then moves on to procedural issues." Lawyers weren't able to disclose how their clients would plea because of secrecy laws surrounding the case.

(Snip)

More details at Lawfare

@Valin

"The arraignment was the first step in the trial eleven years in the making for the five credited with the 9/11 attacks." --Connor Simpson

Credited??

Who writes this crap???

The bast'ids are blamed or charged - but credited?

Save a life you you get credited for the rescue.

Kill someone you do not get credited.

@Pepper

Bear in mind this is The Atlantic.

Live Blogging

10:12am: The prosecution recommends a concurrent translation be provided over loud speakers since the detainees won’t wear their earphones. Apparently, KSM’s attorney says that they’re protesting the way they were all treated this morning.

10:14 am: So that was fast, we’re getting a concurrent translation to Arabic. I guess the prosecution anticipated the problem. Good job, General.

10:21am: KSM’s attorney is complaining that he can’t “advocate for my client when I have to speak like a robot” about the concurrent translation. So I guess we can just have the trial in Arabic. Judge Pohl responds, and I’ll roughly translate his answer to infantryman language; Tough s^#@, it doesn’t matter.

(Snip)

Just think of what it would have been like in a NY City Courtroom! SHUDDER