Chinese Activist Now Wants to Leave China

Valin

SB10001424052702304746604577381022249629902.html?mod=WSJ_hp_LEFTTopStoriesWSJ:

KEITH JOHNSON

5/3/12

BEIJING—U.S. officials scrambled on Thursday to contain the diplomatic and public-relations fallout from the apparent collapse of a deal to keep blind Chinese activist Chen Guangcheng in China, as Chinese officials appeared to tighten their hold over Mr. Chen's fellow activists.

U.S. officials acknowledged Thursday after speaking with Mr. Chen that he and his family now want to leave China, effectively squelching a deal that had convinced him to leave the protection of the U.S. embassy on Wednesday. Mr. Chen had initially told supporters he wanted to stay in China, but he told reporters Wednesday night he had changed his mind after learning of threats of violence against his family.

"It is clear now that in the last 12 to 15 hours they as a family have had a change of heart about staying in China," said State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland.

(Snip)

Ricochet: Chen Guangcheng: 'I'm Very Disappointed at the U.S. Government.'

Mollie Hemingway

5/3/12

Chinese dissident Chen Guangcheng is in a Beijing hospital and he's making phone calls to anyone who will listen to his plight. This translated transcript of an interview he gave CNN last night is just horrible to read. Here are a few excerpts explaining what caused him to leave the safety of the U.S. embassy:

Q: What prompted your change of heart?

A: The embassy kept lobbying me to leave and promised to have people stay with me in the hospital. But this afternoon as soon as I checked into the hospital room, I noticed they were all gone.

Q: Has the U.S. disappointed you?

A: I'm very disappointed at the U.S. government.

Q: Why?

A: I don't think (U.S. officials) protected human rights in this case.

Q: What would you say to U.S. President Obama?

A: I would like to say to (President Obama): Please do everything you can to get our whole family out.

(Snip)

You're not the only one who is disappointed.