“Father Kapaun had several chances to get out but he wouldn’t take them”

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

“Father Kapaun had several chances to get out but he wouldn’t take them”

April 25, 2012 | Filed under Heroes | Posted by Rick Rice

The BBC brings us the story of US army chaplain and Catholic priest Emil Kapaun who is being considered for the Medal of Honor and for sainthood by the Church:

On 2 November 1950, Father Kapaun made the decision that led to his death.

The Korean war chaplain was in the middle of a firefight, with the American forces overrun by Chinese soldiers outside a crossroads town called Unsan in North Korea.

Lighting forest fires to frustrate US reconnaissance planes, the Chinese surrounded the Americans and pressed in, attacking with small arms, grenades and even bayonets.

Meanwhile, Chaplain Emil Kapaun, a Catholic priest from a farming village in Kansas, gathered the wounded in a dugout shelter made of logs and straw.

When American officers ordered the able-bodied to retreat, Father Kapaun, a 35-year-old captain, refused to leave the wounded.Scissors-32x32.png

Read More

Read the rest and check out the video at the link.

H/T to The Catholic Science Geek.

http://wizbangblog.com/2012/04/25/father-kapaun-had-several-chances-to-get-out-but-he-wouldnt-take-them/

Draggingtree

@Draggingtree

Korea may not be the worst place to fight a war, but its right near the top. Louisiana in the summer North Dakota in the winter.

You hit the nail on the head flagday.gif

@Draggingtree

One of the worst nights of my life March 21 1968, I'm guarding the "Special Weapons" bunker..Temp. in the 30's and it is raining like it has not rained since The Flood.

Horrible place...OTOH if you were a 19 year old young man, it could be a very....enlightening place, if you know what I mean. wink.png