George Zimmerman's release could be imminent

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

george-zimmermans-release-could-be-imminentCBS News:

(CBS News) SANFORD, Fla. -- George Zimmerman was granted bond of $150,000 Friday in the death of Trayvon Martin. Zimmerman is charged with second degree murder.

Zimmerman was granted bond at a hearing Friday because Seminole County Circuit Court Judge Kenneth Lester was persuaded he was not a flight risk and, despite Zimmerman's killing of Martin, believed he posed no threat to his community.

Lawyers were working out the conditions and security restrictions of Zimmerman's release Saturday, as well as the precautions for his safety. It's possible he could stay outside Florida while awaiting trial. And it's all but certain his location will be kept secret.

He's expected to post bond and leave jail sometime this weekend.

Zimmerman surprised the courtroom Friday -- especially Trayvon Martin's parents -- when he walked to the stand in shackles to apologize for shooting the unarmed teenager.

"I wanted to say I am sorry for the loss of your son," Zimmerman stated. "I didn't know his age. I thought he was a little bit younger than I am. I did not know whether he was armed or not."

Zimmerman's lawyer, Mark O'Mara, grilled a state investigator on the stand.

Dan Gilbreath admitted under oath that prosecutors had many questions about the shooting they could not answer.

"Any evidence that conflicts, eyewitnesses anything, that conflicts with the contention that Mr. Martin assaulted first?" O'Mara asked.

"As to who threw the first blow? No," Gilbreath responded.

"Do you know who started the fight?"

"Do I know? No."

"Do you have any evidence that supports who may have started the fight?"

"No."

________

The prosecution seems to have screwed up big time in the rush to judgment.