Santorum suspends campaign, paving way for Romney to take GOP nomination

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

santorumFox News:

GOP presidential candidate Rick Santorum, after defying long odds to become a top contender for the nomination, said Tuesday he is suspending his campaign, in effect paving the way for front-runner Mitt Romney to challenge President Obama.

Santorum’s announcement came as a surprise, though his campaign faced an increasingly unlikely path to the nomination in recent weeks.

The former Pennsylvania senator also on Friday left the campaign trail for the second time to tend to his 3-year-old daughter, Isabella, because she was hospitalized with pneumonia. She has a life-threatening genetic disorder known as Trisomy 18.

Santorum, far behind in the delegate race, had been outspent at every turn by the well-funded and better-organized Romney campaign.

“We will suspend our campaign effective today (but) we are not done fighting,” Santorum said, surrounded by wife, Karen, and their other children at the Gettysburg Hotel in Pennsylvania, his home state where he faced a make-or-break primary April 24.

Romney has spent $2.9 million just in Pennsylvania for TV ads.

The Santorum announcement solidifies what already essentially had become a two-man fight for the presidency in November, with Romney and Obama over the past couple of weeks refining their campaign rhetoric to attack and attempt to define each other.

The remaining GOP candidates – Newt Gingrich and Ron Paul – have vowed to stay in the race until the end despite having little money and fewer primary wins and delegates than even Santorum.

________

Reality sinks in.

My hat's off to Rick but now we'll get to see how Mitt does when it's only him against one conservative.

I think that he will do OK against Ron Paul.

My hat's off to Rick but now we'll get to see how Mitt does when it's only him against one conservative.

I think that he will do OK against Ron Paul.

ah ha..forgot about that guy.

Should have been one conservative and one looney toon.