Arpaio probe: Feds told to 'put up or shut up'

Draggingtree

Draggingtree

20120404joe-arpaio-federal-investigation-county-response.htmlThe Arizon Republic:

Arpaio probe: Feds told to 'put up or shut up'

183 comments by JJ Hensley - Apr. 4, 2012 09:47 PM

The Republic | azcentral.com

Maricopa County Attorney Bill Montgomery accused federal officials of spreading misinformation and trying to foment unrest in Maricopa County by not providing proof that Sheriff Joe Arpaio's agency engages in discriminatory police practices.

Montgomery on Wednesday made his strongest statements yet about the investigation into Arpaio's office, calling on the U.S. Department of Justice to "put up or shut up" by disclosing what evidence it has in its case.

Federal investigators released a 22-page report last December that accused the Sheriff's Office of widespread discrimination against Latino residents through its patrol and jail operations. Sheriff's officials have said the report contained anecdotal information but lacked details to substantiate allegations that the agency had a systemic problem with discriminatory policing.

I want to make it absolutely clear: If the Department of Justice actually has information that supports their assertion that there continue to this day systemic concerns of discriminatory policing or racial profiling, I demand -- I demand as the chief prosecutor of Maricopa County, I demand as the duly elected officer with responsibility for prosecutions -- to be given that information immediately," Montgomery said. "This posturing, this playing hide the ball in the context of civil litigation, is disgusting, particularly when it involves criminal prosecutions."

The Justice Department declined to comment Wednesday.

The Sheriff's Office and local media outlets also have requested detailed information on which the federal allegations are based, Scissors-32x32.png