From the Trayvon Martin Tragedy to a National Travesty

Geee

from-the-trayvon-martin-tragedy-to-a-national-travestyPjMedia:

The Rules of Outrage — Or Why the Trayvon Martin Tragedy Divides the Country

Every year hundreds of Americans are shot and killed under controversial circumstances, where the evidence is incomplete and subject to dispute, often making impossible an immediate charge of murder or manslaughter, at least until further witnesses or information come forth.

We, the public, rarely, if ever, hear of such tragedies. These certainly are not national news items. What, then, made the Trayvon Martin shooting so different?

A few unpleasant facts were assumed that explain the subsequent protests—and the growing backlash against the protests. I think they run something like this, presented here without much editorial commentary.

1. If Trayvon Martin had been white, or George Zimmerman had been black, or had both been black or both white, there would have been no outrage: 94% of murdered blacks are killed by other blacks, to almost no national outcry. Just this past Friday in Florida, fourteen were gunned down (two killed) to silence (at a funeral parlor, no less), as the protestors of the single Martin fatality went ahead with further demonstrations.

Whites are far more likely to be murdered by blacks than vice versa, despite the latter comprising only 11-12% of the population — again to no national outcry. The distinction in this case was that Martin was black. Zimmerman was not. The rule in America is apparently that only rare white on black crime — not far more common black on black, or black on white, or white on white — is symbolic of larger pathologies, both past and present. In earlier decades of American history, the reverse was more likely true: black on white crime aroused public furor in a way white on white or black on black or white on black crime did not. That fact in time was accepted as clearly symptomatic of racial bias, but the inverse of that today is said not to be.

2. If George Zimmerman had been black and not charged with a felony, there would have been no outcry — given that black assailants of other blacks often are not charged because of the occasional difficulty of obtaining eyewitnesses’ affidavits and the unwillingness of many to testify in court (especially in gang-related violence), as well as the use of the self-defense plea. If no one comes forward with enough information to arrest all those who shot up a Florida funeral parlor last Friday, wounding fourteen and killing two, no one I fear will care all that much. Again, the apparent problem in the Martin case was that the one who was not immediately charged was white — and that again made it symbolic of supposedly larger pathologies.Scissors-32x32.png

This column by VDH is so "unfair"... he totally clouds the case with facts, data and logical thinking.

wink.png

Draggingtree

The Other McCain

http://theothermccain.com/2012/04/03/the-corpse-of-trayvon-martin-has-lost-propaganda-value-fortunately-sandra-fluke-still-has-a-pulse/

The Corpse Of Trayvon Martin Has Lost Propaganda Value; Fortunately, Sandra Fluke Still Has A Pulse

Posted on | April 3, 2012 |

by Smitty

One nearly can empathize with the poor Lefties, seeing that the Trayvon Martin tragedy is moving from simple tragedy to propaganda farce. In the (gang)green spirit of recycling, then, we have Hillary telling Andrea Mitchell;

Today, Hillary Clinton told MSNBC’s Andrea Mitchell in a pre-taped interview that Rush Limbaugh’s comments about Sandra Fluke constituted a “verbal assault.” She continued:

We, as a nation, have every right — and in fact I welcome it — to engage in the kind of debate and dialogue that is at the root of who we are as Americans. But lets not turn it into personal attacks and insults. We’re beyond that. We’re better than that and people in the public eye have a particular responsibility to avoid it.

I can agree with SECSTATE’s opinion, in general. Back in 2008, I was prefixing her name with ‘Ct-’, as a Lovecraft reference, to show my affection for the lady. It occurred to me that derogatory ‘games with names’ are childish. Repenting, I have since sought higher forms of snark.

But, really, Hillary? Has anyone on the Left, e.g. Maher, ever been taken to task for potty mouth? I guess Don Imus got a wrist slap for some hairstyle remark a couple of years back. But let’s not kid ourselves here. This is:

• An attempt to control the media cycle in general, deflect attention from the ObamaCare disaster.
  • A retreat from the disaster the Trayvon Martin tragedy is becoming.

One is nearly, but not quite, tempted to record the actual interview and see if the good SECSTATE actually mentions anything work-related. I Reckon Anything National is more fun to discuss than that one important thing over there on the right side of the map thing on the office wall.

November cannot arrive quickly enough, so we can usher these jokers out of power. OK, for the Brietbart trifecta, Hillary is aware of Iran. Reset button.