Quick, turn on E! so we can see if he’s dating JWoww!

Valin

#more-35506The League of Ordinary Gentlemen :

Tod Kelly

March 26, 2012

Color me utterly uninterested that Rick Santorum uttered a naughty word or barked at a New York Times reporter.

But since it appears we have to be forced to micro-focus on such non-events during elections years, here are some ways to cover the “story” that seem at least somewhat relevant: Were the questions he was being asked fair? Was his response called for? If we are going to try some bend-over-backward extrapolation of how this small exchange with reporters acts as a trip to Delphi to view an advanced screening of President Santorum, what do we make of it? Is he a powerful man of conviction, or a McCain-esque hot head? OK, so none of these are actually interesting questions. But at least they are somewhat relevant to the election, if even in the most microscopic way.

You know what’s not at all relevant? What the New York Times reporter personally thought about Santorum’s quick outburst, and whatever other gossipy things he had to say about the stars in Hollywood Washington.

(Snip)

Is this Gray Lady-fingered episode the worst example of journalists being “All ABout Me” that has ever happened? Hell, I don’t think it’s the worst example from this past week. (Though I confess seeing a print journalist from the NYT involved makes it all that more sad in my eyes.) But I know that my fellow bloggers at other sites are going to be driving up our nations bandwidth discussing either how awesome it was that Santorum put that commie fish wrapper in its place, or that the NYT reporter put that fascist pig in his place. Few, I suspect, are going to to be saying what should most be said about this weekend’s hubbub: that the goal of a journalist that forced an answer from a Presidential candidate should not be to cash in to become an “instant celebrity.”

Small simple question (pat. Pend.) Has this incident caused you to change your mind one bit about whether or not Rick Santorum should be President?

pollyannaish

Nope. And I suspect that is true all the way round. Having said that though...if I was supporting him I'd be cringing. Like I do when I screw up in life myself.

Nope. And I suspect that is true all the way round. Having said that though...if I was supporting him I'd be cringing. Like I do when I screw up in life myself.

Actually I approve of politicians taking journalists publicly to task.

If the politician is successful in putting the reporter down we get better questions asked (ok I can dream can't I?), If the Pol is not successful in putting the reporter down then the Pol looks like an idiot. A win win situation as far as I'm concerned.

The best of all possible outcomes would be they both shoot themselves in the foot.