GOP Struggles With Post-Blue Agenda

Valin

gop-struggles-with-post-blue-agendaVia Meadia:

Walter Russel Mead

3/21/12

Elements of the blue social model have been supported by members of both major parties at various times, but its most stubborn defenders today tend to come from the left. The inevitable decline of that model, then, should be a godsend for the Republican Party.

Yet a new New York Times piece about divisions within Republican-controlled legislatures in the Midwest over right-to-work legislation suggests that the GOP is having trouble adjusting to post-blue America. Despite massive electoral gains in 2010, many state Republicans are hesitating to back these measures for fear of potential backlash from the unions and their supporters:

(Snip)

This timidity is more than a symptom of union bullying; it points to the larger problem that the Republican Party, especially in the Midwest, still hasn’t figured out how to turn voters’ urgent concerns about the blue model into a politically sustainable program for deep change. Rather than propose innovative new ideas toward a vision for the future, the Midwestern GOP is projecting a message about what they are against. Those who want to get beyond blue need to think more creatively about the next steps.

(Snip)

We are in the middle of a very large scale changes in society. Technologically it started in the 1950's, politically with the election of Ronald Reagan.

The problem as I see it is there are people in both parties that A. Don't realize it is really happening, B. Don't believe it is a serious issue, C. are only concerned with their short term political prospects...ie winning the next election.

I could very well be wrong, but I don't think I am. I have no solution short or long term to this change that we are in the middle of, and if you meet someone who does say they do, you have my personal permission to smack them upside the head.