Obama: Restoring America is an eight-year project

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

216517-obama-restoring-america-is-an-eight-year-projectThe Hill:

President Obama told a small but well-heeled gathering at an Atlanta fundraiser Friday night that restoring the U.S. economy and America's status in the world is an eight-year project, not a three-year project, and that he needs their help to win the White House again this November.

"This is not a three-year project, this is an eight-year project," he said Friday night. "So I need you one more time. And we're confident we can get there, but we're going to need your help."

Obama gave credit to his administration for helping to bring about new job growth and stabilize the banking system. But he said he ran for the White House not just to restore the status quo, but to improve upon it.

"I ran because the status quo pre-crisis wasn't good enough," he said. "But it was for too many people a betrayal of the American Dream — the idea that if you work hard, you can make it, regardless of what you look like, where you come from, what your name is; that as a consequence of hard work you could support a family, buy a home, send your kids to college, retire with dignity and respect.

"That core American Dream had been fraying for too many people," he said.

Obama praised his signature healthcare law for ensuring healthcare coverage for millions of people, as well as improvements to education, but said more efforts are needed to ensure the country has "the best roads and bridges and the best Internet service."

Obama also said his administration has strengthened international alliances and respect for the country by ending one war and beginning to transition out of another in Iraq. "And Osama bin Laden is not around," he said.

Speaking in the lavish home of TV and movie director Tyler Perry, Obama acknowledged that it is "not as trendy to be an Obama supporter, because it's not as fresh."

"Those posters are kind of rolled up in some closet somewhere," he said to laughter. "But my determination, my determination is unwavering. My passion to bring about change is undiminished. The need is still great."

________

It's the Eight Year Plan...

Bankrupt Solyndra seeking to pay bonuses

(a Washington Post article)

...Nearly two dozen Solyndra employees could receive bonuses ranging from $10,000 to $50,000 each under a proposal filed by Solyndra’s attorneys in U.S. Bankruptcy Court in Delaware.

The attorneys say the extra money will add motivation at a time when workers at the solar company have little job security and more responsibilities because so many of their colleagues have been fired.

The names of the bonus-eligible employees are not disclosed in the court filings that outline the bonus proposal. None of the employees is among the so-called corporate “insiders” — top officers or members of the board of directors, records show.

The proposed bonus recipients include nine equipment engineers, six general business and finance employees and up to two information technology workers.

The biggest bonus, for $50,000, would go to a Solyndra employee whose job title is listed as a senior director with a base salary of $206,499 per year. Two senior managers stand to receive bonuses of $30,000 and $32,500...

...workers at the solar company have
little job security
and more responsibilities
because so many of their colleagues have been fired.

Wow.

Seems to be shaping up in a great way, eh?

Imagine this: in the Great Green Economy.

Didn't the government cancel production of some hugely touted solution to some problem?

I'm certain that when this summer becomes the bastard it appears that it could be, the number of people that die due to heat prostration exceeds some value, well, then...

How many people died in Europe because of bone-chilling cold?

Dad - the annual Euro-skier - states that there was no snow to be found (except manufactured on the ski-slopes).