School says Students’ Use of “USA USA” Chant is Racist

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

school-says-%e2%80%9cusa-usa%e2%80%9d-chant-is-racist.htmlFox News:

A Texas school district has filed a complaint alleging that students from a rival school engaged in racism by chanting “USA, USA” at a basketball game. The students involved in the incident were reprimanded and forced to apologize.The San Antonio Independent School District filed the complaint with the University Interscholastic League, the governing body for athletics in Texas. They allege that students at Alamo Heights High School began chanting “USA, USA” after they defeated Edison High School to win a region basketball championship.

Edison’s team is predominantly Hispanic, said Leslie Price, a spokesperson for the San Antonio ISD.

“The implication as they are not American citizens,” Price told Fox News. “We understand competiveness and rivalry, but you need to choose your words and think about the meaning behind them.”

Price said she believes the “USA, USA” chant was racially motivated.

“It was chanted selectively at a school that is predominantly Hispanic and there was understanding of that,” she said.

________

God bless America-oh, wait, does that make me racist?

clearvision

This was clearly over the top though. Pretty much a rich mostly white school, playing a mostly Hispanic school. They were not chanting for their team or cross town city. I've never been to a high school game where USA chant is used in general (maybe back in 911 time frame, but certainly not by one team directed at another.). There is no doubt this was not a generic USA chant and what the purpose was. That said, sounds like the chanting team should deal with it on their own and the Government did not need to be called in.

Draggingtree

So may be could be more to this than meets the eye /////

http://www.kens5.com/news/local

Scissors-32x32.png

"(They) moments later chanted “Eddie Moreno” for their friend who suffered paralysis a year ago" and after the game waited outside the arena "to applaud the Edison players for their excellent play."Scissors-32x32.png

Scissors-32x32.png

Meanwhile, the San Antonio ISD said in a statement that the precedent set last year by a similar chant involving an SAISD school and a school from the Austin area "played a role in our decision to file an incident report with UIL."

"We have a responsibility to our students, parents and the SAISD community to follow up," said interim Superintendent Dr. Sylvester Perez.

The district's statement said it has "full respect for how the Alamo Heights school district has handled the incident" and that SAISD and Edison High School are "moving forward" on building a relationship between the schools.Scissors-32x32.png

Draggingtree

1WestVirginiaRebel

So comes to find out like I had said earlier there is more to the story than what had been reported, the chanting started on the Edison’s High School side chanting white school, white school, white school, and continue until the Alamo Heights fans began chanting “USA, USA” after they defeated Edison High School to win a region basketball championship.

(They Alamo Heights fans) moments later chanted “Eddie Moreno” for their friend who suffered paralysis a year ago" and after the game waited outside the arena "to applaud the Edison players for their excellent play.

That is just what continues to go on in American – with your Al Sharpton’s/Jesse (baby daddy) Jackson’s and other’s saying I have been offended you are a racist or bigot. ohmy.png

Another Thought on those who thought to well post with out knowing //// was kind of like what Obama said when the Cambridge police arrested his friend Gates "not knowing all the facts but the Cambridge Police acted stupidly which let to the famous ""beer summit"" lightningbolt.gif

clearvision

@Draggingtree I can't find any reference to the chanting of "white school" on the web. Do you have a source at the event, or where did you get this? The only hit I get on the web is back to this post here on TRR. Would not surprise me, but all reports are that the chanting was for a whole 5 seconds of USA USA before it stopped as people knew it was inappropriate.

righteousmomma
Would not surprise me, but all reports are that the chanting was for a whole 5 seconds of USA USA before it stopped as people knew it was inappropriate.

Would not surprise me either. I know nothing about the situation other than what I read here (and I have not read the links) but...

What we have here, imo, is just another clear example of how liberal/progressive thinking has entered the American societal conscience. This local, non event story has been blown out of all proportion by the mere fact that it has become a national story.

Political correctness has displaced common sense values of consideration, respect, self control and self discipline.

righteousmomma

So may be could be more to this than meets the eye /////

http://www.kens5.com/news/local

Scissors-32x32.png

@Draggingtree afraid I could not find the link you quoted in this link?? All I saw was a "front page" with a couple sport highlighted article headlines about Alamo Heights winning over Edison.

Regardless I think the more to the story is that it has been blown totally out of proportion.

Draggingtree

righteousmomma

Regardless I think the more to the story is that it has been blown totally out of proportion.

you are so correct this should have been a non starter

The interview I listen to was on Ktrh 740am Michael Berry show, I'll try to find which pod cast the interview was in and I need to correct myself on the chant

The other kids were chanting Alamo whites.

Draggingtree

Clearvison, The interview I listen to was on Ktrh 740am Michael Berry show, I'll try to find which pod cast the interview was in and I need to correct myself on the chant

The other kids were chanting Alamo whites.

clearvision

Thanks. I find plenty of links to "alamo whites" being chanted by the other team (school name is Alamo Heights). Like Righteousmomma says this type of stuff gets so blown out of proportion and "used" by some to push an agenda.