March 6 1990 SR-71 sets a transcontinental record

Valin

Blackbird

(Snip)

When the SR-71 was retired in 1990, one was flown from its birthplace at United States Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale, California, to go on exhibit at what is now the Smithsonian Institution's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (an annex of the National Air & Space Museum) in Chantilly, Virginia. The Blackbird, piloted by Colonel Ed Yeilding and Lt. Col. J. T. Vida, set a coast-to-coast speed record at an average 2,124 mph (3,418 km/h). The entire trip was reported as 68 minutes and 17 seconds. Three additional records were set within segments of the flight, including a new absolute top speed of 2,242 mph (3,608 km/h) measured between the radar gates set up in St. Louis and Cincinnati. These were accepted by the National Aeronautic Association (NAA), the recognized body for aviation records in the United States.

(Snip)

Yes You Too Can Fly One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T0NcwTNl0k

Well Sort of.

So the question is...What replaced it?

One evening just before nightfall I was cutting our front yard..... when a SR-71 came over very low on it's final approach into Carswell AFB. I'm not sure why it came in on this unusual heading. It was the only time I'd seen one in flight and made quite and impression. An amazing machine.

"Holy Batplane, Batman!"

1989Batplane.jpg

@NCTexan

I guarded one in Korea one night. One of the high points in my time.

For the record, it was never there, in fact at that time it didn't even exist.

• Like 1

@Valin

Another "Batplane" from the past is the now retired British Vulcan bomber.

I saw one showing "his stuff" at an airshow but rolling a few feet downwind and then blasting full power while yanking the nose off the ground. I'd never seen such a large aircraft pull such a brute force maneuver.

From the top side, this aircraft has an almost "organic" appearance.

i1_Vulcan_s.jpg

xh558_2.jpg

@Valin

Another "Batplane" from the past is the now retired British Vulcan bomber.

I was one showing "his stuff" at an airshow but rolling a few feet downwind and then blasting full power while yanking the nose off the ground. I'd never seen such a large aircraft pull such a brute force maneuver.

From the top side, this aircraft has an almost "organic" appearance.

i1_Vulcan_s.jpg

xh558_2.jpg

That was the plane in Thunderball.

Blackbird

(Snip)

When the SR-71 was retired in 1990, one was flown from its birthplace at United States Air Force Plant 42 in Palmdale, California, to go on exhibit at what is now the Smithsonian Institution's Steven F. Udvar-Hazy Center (an annex of the National Air & Space Museum) in Chantilly, Virginia. The Blackbird, piloted by Colonel Ed Yeilding and Lt. Col. J. T. Vida, set a coast-to-coast speed record at an average 2,124 mph (3,418 km/h). The entire trip was reported as 68 minutes and 17 seconds. Three additional records were set within segments of the flight, including a new absolute top speed of 2,242 mph (3,608 km/h) measured between the radar gates set up in St. Louis and Cincinnati. These were accepted by the National Aeronautic Association (NAA), the recognized body for aviation records in the United States.

(Snip)

Yes You Too Can Fly One

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9T0NcwTNl0k

Well Sort of.

So the question is...What replaced it?

Mr.n., who knows a lot about the SR-71, says there is no replacement.

I find it hard to believe that a replacement is not being (at least) worked on.

I find it hard to believe that a replacement is not being (at least) worked on.

That may be, but if you KNEW, you would have to be shot.... cool.png

• 10 years later...

Sep 13, 2022 In Episode 3 of the new "What Makes This Plane Great?" series, Ward examines the technology, history, and enduring operational impact of the amazing SR-71 Blackbird. Get ready for a Mach 3 ride!