Obama moves G-8 summit from Chicago to Camp David

WestVirginiaRebel

WestVirginiaRebel

obama-moves-g-8-summit-chicago-camp-david-225124839.htmlYahoo News:

How will it play in Chicago?

As recently as January 25, Chicago's Chamber of Commerce was talking up the economic benefits of hosting the Group of Eight summit of economic powers and playing down the prospects for disruptions that could affect the talks and tarnish the Windy City's image.

On Monday, President Barack Obama pulled the plug on his adoptive hometown's hopes and announced he was moving the annual summit to the super-secure Camp David retreat on Maryland's Catoctin Mountain.

"To facilitate a free-flowing discussion with our close G-8 partners, the President is inviting his fellow G-8 leaders to Camp David on May 18-19 for the G-8 Summit, which will address a broad range of economic, political and security issues," White House press secretary Jay Carney said in a statement.

Asked why Obama had opted to move the summit, which is expected to focus on Europe's debt crisis and ways to boost the global economy, National Security Council spokesman Tommy Vietor emailed that the president felt Camp David "would provide an informal and intimate setting to have a free-flowing conversation."

"He very much looks forward to coming to his hometown for a critically important NATO summit, as planned," Vietor added. That meeting will take place on May 20-21.

________

Chicagoland isn't safe for anyone these days...

Wow... Chicago has hit the skids.

First it loses the Olympics and now the G-8.

What's next... maybe the Bud Billiken Day Parade will move to Fargo?

800px-20040814_Bud_Billiken_Obama_f.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Bud Billiken Parade and Picnic is an annual parade in Chicago, Illinois, and the oldest and largest African American parade in the United States.

Since 1929, it has always been held on the second Saturday in August The idea for the parade came from Robert S. Abbott, the founder of the Chicago Defender. It is now the second largest annual parade in the United States.

The parade features celebrities, politicians, businessmen, civic organizations and youth. It occurs on the South Side of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois and concludes in Washington Park.

BTW... all Cook county schools get out for Billiken day every year.

SrWoodchuck

Wow... Chicago has hit the skids.

First it loses the Olympics and now the G-8.

What's next... maybe the Bud Billiken Day Parade will move to Fargo?

800px-20040814_Bud_Billiken_Obama_f.jpg

From Wikipedia:

The Bud Billiken Parade and Picnic is an annual parade in Chicago, Illinois, and the oldest and largest African American parade in the United States.

Since 1929, it has always been held on the second Saturday in August The idea for the parade came from Robert S. Abbott, the founder of the Chicago Defender. It is now the second largest annual parade in the United States.

The parade features celebrities, politicians, businessmen, civic organizations and youth. It occurs on the South Side of Chicago in Cook County, Illinois and concludes in Washington Park.

BTW... all Cook county schools get out for Billiken day every year.

@NCTexan!

I thought the Zulu Parade on Mardi Gras Day [Fat Tuesday] was the oldest black parade. A poster from 2009 shows it was the 100th annual parade. I still have 2 Zulu coconuts from my two Mardi Gras in the Big Easy. BTW- You don't have to be black......you can wear blackface & be in a Zulu Crewe.

aaa_mr._big_stuff_poster.jpg

HISTORY OF ZULU

louisarmstrongaskingofzso6.jpg

Early in 1909, a group of laborers who had organized a club named "The Tramps," went to the Pythian Theater to see a musical comedy performed by the Smart Set. The comedy included a skit entitled, "There Never Was and Never Will Be a King Like Me," about the Zulu Tribe...

That is how Zulu began, as the many stories go...

Years of extensive research by Zulu's Historian staff seem to indicate that Zulu's beginning was much more complicated than that. The earliest signs of organization came from the fact that the majority of these men belonged to a Benevolent Aid Society. Benevolent Societies were the first forms of insurance in the Black community where, for a small amount of dues, members received financial help when sick or financial aid when burying deceased members.

zulu_grand_marshal.jpg

Conversations and interviews with older members also indicate that in that era the city was divided into wards, and each ward had its own group or "Club." The Tramps were one such group. After seeing the skit, they retired to their meeting place (a room in the rear of a restaurant/bar in the 1100 block of Perdido Street), and emerged as Zulus. This group was probably made up of members from the Tramps, the Benevolent Aid Society and other ward-based groups.

While the "Group" marched in Mardi Gras as early as 1901, their first appearance as Zulus came in 1909, with William Story as King.

zulu_history.jpg

The group wore raggedy pants, and had a Jubilee-singing quartet in front of and behind King Story. His costume of "lard can" crown and "banana stalk" scepter has been well documented. The Kings following William Story, (William Crawford - 1910, Peter Williams - 1912, and Henry Harris - 1914), were similarly attired.

1915 heralded the first use of floats, constructed on a spring wagon, using dry good boxes. The float was decorated with palmetto leaves and moss and carried four Dukes along with the King. That humble beginning gave rise to the lavish floats we see in the Zulu parade today.

On September 20, 1916, in the notorial office of Gabriel Fernandez, the Zulu Social Aid and Pleasure Club was incorporated. Twenty-two of the organization's officers and members signed the first official document.

spacer.gifspacer.gif

@SrWoodchuck said...

I still have 2 Zulu coconuts from my two Mardi Gras in the Big Easy.

I gotta say.... you do look good in them and fill them out quite nicely. wub.png

200183376-001.jpg

SrWoodchuck

@SrWoodchuck said...

I still have 2 Zulu coconuts from my two Mardi Gras in the Big Easy.

I gotta say.... you do look good in them and fill them out quite nicely. wub.png

200183376-001.jpg

@NCTexan

That's not me........I wax my chest hair.....and my beard is more of a distinguished grey......plus I've allowed my coconuts to do their "thang!"

coconut-dreams.jpg

BTW: Coconuts have been with us since the very beginning....and notice who first wore them......

Adam-and-Eve--38382.jpg