GOP: Dems 'played games' over Sandra Fluke

Rheo

408036The Examiner:

Given the intensifying political fight over Rush Limbaugh's remarks about Sandra Fluke, the Georgetown University activist/law student who was not allowed to testify at a February 16 House hearing on the contraceptive mandate issue, the question arises: Why didn't Republicans just allow Fluke to testify? The testimony she ended up giving at a Democrats-only meeting a few days later wasn't particularly compelling, and, had Fluke appeared before the full Oversight and Government Reform Committee, Republicans could have pretty easily challenged her testimony. Yet the GOP refused to allow Fluke to appear, and events have raced along since then. So why not let Fluke speak?

"The Democrats played games with us the day before [the hearing]," says a Republican committee source. "After days of asking for a witness, they waited until the last minute, the afternoon before the hearing. They asked us to invite Rev. Barry Lynn [head of Americans United for Separation of Church and State] and Ms. Fluke. We said we'll invite one, per standard procedure. We formally invited Rev. Lynn, and the Democrats, at 4:30 pm, changed their mind and said they wanted Fluke. We said too late. They told Rev. Lynn not to show up the next day."

When the hearing took place, Democrats proceeded to clobber Republicans. "Where are the women?" asked New York Rep. Carolyn Maloney as she looked at the all-male first panel for the hearing. (Two women testified in the hearing's second panel, but Maloney and her fellow Democrats ignored that.)

Issa explained that Democrats had requested Barry Lynn, that Lynn was invited, and that Democrats then retracted the Lynn request. As for Fluke, Issa said Republicans had never heard of the Democrats' last-minute choice. "I asked our staff what is her background, what has she done," Issa said at the hearing. "They did the usual that we do when we're not provided the three days and the forms to go with it. They did a Google search. They looked and found that she was, in fact, and is a college student who appears to have become energized over this issue and participated in approximately a 45-minute press conference…I cannot and will not arbitrarily take a majority or minority witness if they do not have the appropriate credentials, both for a hearing at the full committee of the U.S. House of Representatives and if we cannot vet them in a timely fashion." (Fluke is in fact a 30 year-old law student with an extensive history of activism in leftist causes.)

So the Fluke controversy was born. In a letter to committee Democrats Friday, Issa said the "aspersions directed at Ms. Sandra Fluke made by radio show host Rush Limbaugh" were "inappropriate." But Issa also accused Democrats of "failure to recognize your own contributions to the denigration of this discussion and attacks on people of religious faith." Issa again explained his handling of the February 16 hearing, complaining that Democrats "have appeared outright giddy in attempting to distort the testimony offered and purpose of the hearing."

"All of you, even the minority members who walked out of the hearing before Dr. Laura Champion and Dr. Allison Garrett testified, knew very well that the rhetorical question, 'Where are the women?' and the claim that the hearing was somehow an assault on women was disingenuous and inflammatory," Issa wrote.

Scissors-32x32.png

• Like 1

pollyannaish

This does not surprise me in the slightest. We are seriously, SERIOUSLY getting played on this issue and we would do best just to let it go.

It will not work for us and they are desperate to keep it on the front page. We MUST ignore their taunting. The religious liberty part does work for us...but once we are pulled into the specifics, we are toast.

We need to let it pass and get on to other things. LIKE THE ECONOMY.

Can you tell it is driving me crazy?? :lol:

• Like 1

The comments are worth reading at the source site.

Stay sane it is going to be a looonnnngggg year!

The comments are worth reading at the source site.

Stay sane it is going to be a looonnnngggg year!

Ain't that the truth.

Bill Maher: 'If Rick Santorum Is Your Youth Minister' You’d Switch to 'One Who Just Molests'

Scissors-32x32.png

BILL MAHER: New Rule, President Obama must stand up and thank the man who’s been out there day after day tirelessly helping his campaign – Rick Santorum. Every time I turn on the news, Christy McSweatervest has just said something crazier than the last crazy thing he said. He said JFK makes him want to throw up – not the man, the airport, because if God had wanted man to fly, he wouldn’t have made flight attendants so gay.

He says climate change is just a big hoax – you know, like Bigfoot or the female orgasm. He thinks condoms are not okay – which means he’s either a religious nut, or he’s never heard of lube.

If Rick Santorum is your youth minister, you’d ask your parents to switch you to the one who just molests.

Wow!

Earlier on Friday, Barack Obama contacted Georgetown University law student and women's rights activist Sandra Fluke to show her support following comments made about her by conservative talk radio host Rush Limbaugh.

Is the President concerned about things liberal commentators are saying about conservatives or only what conservatives say about liberals?

Exactly how can Obama allow his Super PAC to take money from a man that consistently says far more vile things about Americans than anything Limbaugh said about Fluke?

And while we're at it, when will the President call conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham to express his condolences for MSNBC's Ed Schultz calling her a slut back in May?

I'm sure Ingraham isn't holding her breath.

And while we're at it, when will the President call conservative talk radio host Laura Ingraham to express his condolences for MSNBC's Ed Schultz calling her a slut back in May?

I'm sure Ingraham isn't holding her breath.

That will be around 2 hours after hell freezes over.

Remember being on the Left means never having to say you're sorry...or wrong.

• Like 1

This does not surprise me in the slightest. We are seriously, SERIOUSLY getting played on this issue and we would do best just to let it go.

It will not work for us and they are desperate to keep it on the front page. We MUST ignore their taunting. The religious liberty part does work for us...but once we are pulled into the specifics, we are toast.

Can you tell it is driving me crazy?? laugh.png

Take a look at most MSM sites and the comments after these stories. This story isn't helping the democrats. I totally agree that our Republicans in Washington are getting overplayed. But my idiot dog we rescued from the local shelter could overplay the Republicans in Washington. We win with social issues and economic issues. We (GOP establishment) just don't have the gonads to push the social issues because they think their views are unpopular. Their views are mainstream.

Read the comments after this article to get a less local feel for where Americans are right now...

http://news.yahoo.com/obama-warns-against-loose-talk-war-iran-164839295.html

• Like 1

It wouldn't surprise me to find out that Rush knew EXACTLY what he was saying, including the use of the term slut to describe this slut.

I think from his point of view, he got his desired outcome. He knew he would have to apologize and maybe lose a few sponsors but it was a price he was willing to pay....IMO.

I'd say he probably added an addition 2 or 3 million listeners to his program.

• Like 2

Draggingtree

Our Warriors Deserve Better « on: Today at 04:31:26 PM »

http://palintwibe.blogspot.com/2012/03/our-warriors-deserve-better.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Our Warriors Deserve Better

at 1:01 PM Posted by Ron Devito

Governor Palin today posted on Facebook:

Every American should be alarmed at Barack Obama’s priorities, which are illustrated starkly and astonishingly in his cuts to national defense. Those of us with family members in the military, especially, cannot help but be shocked and disappointed by the Commander in Chief’s decision to cut our troops and the benefits they have earned. It’s amazing when you consider all the government waste and the fact that the compensation and benefits of politicians (including the President) only increase, never decrease.

In a recent newsletter, Congressman Allen West points out:

The Obama administration’s proposed defense budget calls for military families and retirees to pay sharply more for their healthcare, while leaving unionized civilian defense workers’ benefits untouched. As well, we are looking at cutting close to 130,000 uniformed troops, but cutting only 7,000 Department of Defense civilians.

In addition, the Obama administration is looking to create a BRAC (Base Realignment and Closure) commission to examine changing the military retirement system. If you do the analysis, you find that less than one percent of the American adult population draws a retirement from serving in the United States Military. The idea of taking out the United States economy budget woes on our military is despicable.

The most alarming points about the healthcare plan include:

- Increases between 30 percent to 78 percent in TRICARE annual premiums for the first year. After that, the plan would impose five-year increases ranging from 94 percent to 345 percent. That's more than three times current levels....

- The new plan also hits active duty personnel by increasing co-payments for pharmaceuticals and eliminating incentives for using generic drugs.

- Veterans will also be hit with a new annual fee for the TRICARE for Life program, on top of the monthly premiums already being paid. In addition, some benefits will become “means-tested,” making them similar to the welfare system than as a benefit for Military service.

Congressman West is right. This is “despicable.” Instead of reforming our insolvent entitlement programs (which the President’s own debt commission recommended) and instead of taking a cleaver to all the waste, fraud, and abuse of our tax dollars perpetrated and perpetuated by the crony capitalism of the permanent political class in DC, this administration makes our brave men and women in uniform bear the brunt of our deficit woes. It’s shameful. The President’s actions are shameful!

For all his talk about slashing troops in the name of making the military “more efficient,” I believe Barack Obama will find these numbers will fall on their own. I predict our troops will cut their own numbers by not voluntarily enlisting at the levels we’ve previously seen or by getting out of the service as quickly as possible because of their Commander in Chief’s lack of support and lack of a clear mission for them.

After watching the administration “tsk-tsking” the conditions our brave men and women in uniform fight through everyday and listening to the apologizing for our troops’ actions in war zones, I stand amazed and impressed at our military personnel's loyalty to the office of the Commander in Chief. I understand and am thankful for that loyalty. They deserve better. They watch the President’s complacency as the media seems to forget our fallen by choosing to give more ink and airtime to a phone call the President makes to praise a 30-year-old college student’s “courage” in publicly speaking about her birth control desires than they’ve given to any of our recent soldiers’ ultimate courage and sacrifice on battlefields far from home. Has he made as great an effort to personally encourage the families of the fallen? His priorities are skewed.

For our courageous men and women in uniform and for the security of our nation, November can’t come soon enough.

- Sarah Palin

• Like 1

Draggingtree

Evad, I am in the believe he knew what he was doing and went ahead with all an looking back he should be proud he woke some up.!!! right or wrong laugh.png

Draggingtree

pollyannaish, i know this isn't ur 3 am call, u just wander off the trail for a second,

let me add this off subject comment ( so I can back out Gracefully )

Stick It To Obama’ Campaign 2012

March 5, 2012 | Filed under Barack Obama,Energy | Posted by TWB

In general, I hate sticky notes. For several years now, I’ve always seemed to have an abundance of sticky note packs in my office, in my car, in the kitchen, always in the way, taking up room, not being used. I throw them out when I find them, but somehow they seem to return. I don’t buy them, I don’t think my wife buys them, I don’t honestly know how they keep returning. Inexplicably when ever I need to jot something down really quick I’m never able to find one of the things. But now we have found the perfect use for the common sticky note. Behold, the “Stick it to Obama” campaign for 2012. It’s inspired by this note left at a gas pump in Douglasville, Georgia. It read:

Dear Voter,

Did you know that when Obama took office on January 20, 2009, the national average for a gallon of gas was $1.84? Keep that in mind when you vote in November.

Anyone but Obama 2012!

You can actually buy a 25 pack of these pre-printed sticky notes for $4.95 at Patriot Depot. Or you could buy sticky notes yourself and write your own witty campaign slap at Obama. Could you imagine how much you could annoy liberals if every time they pulled in to pump gas they had to see these little yellow post its slamming their guy?

Next pack of sticky notes I find laying around I’m going to put them to good use. rolleyes.gif

Take a look at most MSM sites and the comments after these stories. This story isn't helping the democrats.

That is making me a lot less grumpy.

Ways to go, but it helps.wink.png

$9: Price For a Month’s Supply of Birth Control Pills With No Health Insurance At Target 3 Miles From Georgetown Law…

Although Georgetown Law student Sandra Fluke testified to the House Democratic Steering and Policy Committee last month that contraception can cost a law student $3,000 over three years and that some of her fellow students could not afford it, a Target store only 3 miles from the law school currently sells a month’s supply of birth control pills for only $9 to people who do not have insurance plans covering contraceptives.

Scissors-32x32.png

Great, now she'll want us to supply her tax payer funded GPS for finding her contraceptives.