saveliberty

saveliberty

How Andrew Breitbart changed the news

By Nick Gillespie, Special to CNN

updated 5:35 AM EST, Fri March 2, 2012

120301080148-gillespie-bretibart-story-top.jpg

Andrew Breitbart, conservative activist and blogger, died Thursday<p>

STORY HIGHLIGHTS

• Nick Gillespie says Andrew Brietbart, who died, was polarizing -- and liked it
  • He says Brietbart baited liberals but was not straight-up conservative
  • He says his legacy was creating discussion outlets away from what he saw as smug media
  • Gillespie: His efforts weren't always pretty, but mediascape he grew was more interesting

Editor's note: Nick Gillespie is the editor in chief of Reason.com and Reason.tv and the co-author with Matt Welch of "The Declaration of Independents: How Libertarian Politics Can Fix What's Wrong With America."

(CNN) -- To get a sense of just how polarizing a figure new media innovator Andrew Breitbart was, get a load of this tweet from Slate's Matt Yglesias that went out mere hours after the news of Breitbart's unexpected death at age 43 broke: "The world outlook is slightly improved with @AndrewBrietbart dead."

Breitbart would relish that sort of venomous barb, not least because it meant that liberals with an uncomplicated mainstream media perspective were taking notice of him and his point of view. That such a churlish and distasteful comment reflects poorly on its author, an establishment blogger with impeccable left of center bona fides, and his Washington Post-owned platform, would simply be icing on the cake.

clearvision

@saveliberty, Please try and use the textpaste.png button in the editor to paste in article text. The new editor copies in all the formatting and links, which we don't want.

Thanks

Orson Bean, the American actor, TV personality and author, was born Dallas Frederick Burroughs on July 22, 1928 in Burlington, Vermont to George Burroughs, a policeman who later went on to become the chief of campus police at Harvard University, and the former Marian Pollard.

The newborn Dallas Burroughs was a second cousin once removed to Calvin Coolidge, who was President of the United States at the time of his birth. The young Dallas, an amateur magician with a taste for the limelight, graduated from Boston's prestigious Latin School in 1946. Too young to see military service during World War Two, the future Orson Bean did a hitch in the Army (1946-47) in occupied Japan.

--

Learning all kinds of things today. biggrin.png

saveliberty

@saveliberty, Please try and use the textpaste.png button in the editor to paste in article text. The new editor copies in all the formatting and links, which we don't want.

Thanks

Fixed it.

Thank you, @clearvision!

bag.gif

Orson Bean, the American actor, TV personality and author, was born Dallas Frederick Burroughs on July 22, 1928 in Burlington, Vermont to George Burroughs, a policeman who later went on to become the chief of campus police at Harvard University, and the former Marian Pollard.

The newborn Dallas Burroughs was a second cousin once removed to Calvin Coolidge, who was President of the United States at the time of his birth. The young Dallas, an amateur magician with a taste for the limelight, graduated from Boston's prestigious Latin School in 1946. Too young to see military service during World War Two, the future Orson Bean did a hitch in the Army (1946-47) in occupied Japan.

--

Learning all kinds of things today. biggrin.png

• Like 2

Is it just me: or did this guy not do diddle squat in the nearly 4 1/2 short decades theat he was on this planet?

I'm into this gig for 5 decades now.

Do I think the other place banning me because I don't toe the line is some sort of threat?

Breitbart is talkin - plying his traide - and maklin' deals - NOT - with the Man (RIGHT NOW). NOT.

Breitbart is dead NOW. As YOU will be one day SOON.

Have YOU acepted Christ as your peronal saviour?

saveliberty

By accepting Jesus as my personal savior, it is my responsibility to share acts of kindness, part of the Divine Law, as explained by Father Robert Barron here.

Such as by praying for Andrew's family and friends, who are no doubt suffering deeply. He left four young children who do not deserve the cruelty that they just received from the post above.

• Like 2

Is it just me: or did this guy not do diddle squat in the nearly 4 1/2 short decades theat he was on this planet?

?

?

The ACORN undercover vids were pretty interesting.

pollyannaish

I think what Breitbart did was speak the language of the left. His audience was not us, as much the left he knew as a kid. He was horrified by hypocrisy and deceit.

By all accounts, he was courageous enough to surround himself with people who thought very differently from himself. He was not cowed by conflict, and wanted desperately to bring the truth out of the shadows. He was rough, but he was not unkind. There is a huge difference.

I respected him. The rest is not mine to judge. I wish his family every comfort as they deal with his death.

Ann Coulter on Media's Breitbart Smear: 'Even in Death He Shows Liberals in Their True Colors'

Scissors-32x32.png

As NewsBusters has been reporting, the liberal media have been less than gracious following the surprising death of conservative publisher Andrew Breitbart.

On Fox News's Hannity Friday, conservative author Ann Coulter said it best. "Even in death he shows liberals in their true colors" (video follows with transcript and absolutely no need for additional commentary):

SEAN HANNITY, HOST: But, you know, the difference is, you know, when Sarah Palin was attacked, I didn't hear any Democrats in Congress asking, you know, for a resolution on the House floor or I don't know that President Obama called Sarah Palin and expressed such outrage over these things.

ANN COULTER: Are we segueing into the birth control activist? I love that story.

HANNITY: The point is, I'm segueing into a double standard that exists and phony outrage by liberals. That's what bothers me here. You know what? If they want to have free speech and say what they say, let conservatives have the same thing.