The Light Still Shines on Glen Campbell

Geee

the-light-still-shines-on-glenAmerican Spectator:

In June 2011, country music legend Glen Campbell revealed that he had been diagnosed with Alzheimer's disease. Campbell also announced he would release one last album which would be accompanied by a farewell tour. At the time I wrote, "I hope Campbell is able to make his way up to Boston or New York because he has long been on my list of musicians I have wanted to see in concert."

Well, last week I crossed Campbell off my musical bucket list when I attended his concert at the Wilbur Theater in Boston. While I don't know if Campbell will remember much from that show, it is a night I and everyone else who attended will not soon forget. Campbell's tour continues through the end of June. If he comes to your town don't pass up an opportunity to see an American original because this is it.

Although he has had multiple hits on both the country and pop charts, "Rhinestone Cowboy" remains his signature song and it is what introduced me to the genius of Glen Campbell. In the 1970s and early 1980s, I had an aunt and uncle who owned a record company in Palm Springs, California called TeeVee Records. They mostly sold compilation LPs and eight track cassettes and from time to time they would give my parents some of their extra stock.

One of those albums was called Knockout, a compilation of songs from the mid-1970s which featured a fist on the cover. How "Rhinestone Cowboy" managed to be included on that album is a bit of a mystery to me given that most of the songs on it were disco hits such as "Shake Your Booty" by K.C. & The Sunshine Band, "Saturday Night" by the Bay City Rollers, and "Disco Queen" by Copperpenny. But, hey, it was the '70s. It was entirely possible to have The Sylvers, Barry Manilow and Glen Campbell co-exist on the same album. I cannot begin to tell you how much these albums and eight tracks helped shape my musical tastes.Scissors-32x32.png

righteousmomma

What a kind and loving tribute to one of our legends with acknowledged feet of clay. So sorry about the Alzheimer's .

I've tried and I have failed, Lord

I've won and I have lost

I've lived and I have loved, Lord

Sometimes, at such a cost

One thing I know

The world's been good to me

A better place, awaits you'll see