President Obama's Theology: Is It Phony?

Geee

president_obamas_theology_is_it_phony.htmlAmerican Thinker:

President Obama frequently professes his Christian faith and argues confidently that his policies are rooted in biblical truths. So when his administration issued a mandate requiring Catholic institutions to provide contraception and abortion-inducing pills to their employees, conservatives demanded an explanation. Why would someone who professes faith in God try to force Catholics to obey government over God (as they believe God to have spoken on the issue)?

Former Senator Rick Santorum, while not challenging Obama's profession of personal faith in Christ, has branded Obama's public-policy-theology as unbiblical and even "phony." Is this a cynical effort by Santorum to stoke anger among his conservative Christian base? Or is Obama indeed using Christian language improperly to justify liberal government policies?

Love Thy Neighbor

Fortunately, we do not have to guess at Obama's theological views. At the National Prayer Breakfast on February 1, Obama explained in detail his theology of God and government. Using the Bible as his authority, he expressed his devotion to God's command to "love thy neighbor as thyself." Much of his speech was premised on the idea that this command should apply not only to individuals, but also to governments.

The implication was hard to miss. President Obama believes that God's command to "love thy neighbor as thyself" provides the moral underpinning for his policies of centralized government power, increased taxation, and extravagant government spending. Presumably, it also justifies his attempts to redefine personhood, marriage, and our First-Amendment freedoms.

But God's command to "love thy neighbor as thyself" cannot properly be used to justify Obama's policies. This command was given by God to individuals, not to governments. This fact should be fairly obvious because governments cannot exercise biblical love -- only individuals can. You, as an individual person made in the image of God, have the God-given capacity to love your neighbor. You might express that love by sharing a portion of your personal income when your neighbor needs an expensive operation. You might sacrifice your time by helping him fix his roof. Or you might share your dinner table with him when he falls on hard times. Such displays of love from one person to another, welling up from a heart that sincerely desires to serve God, may well fulfill the command.Scissors-32x32.png

Is the Pope Catholic?

Obama DOES subscribe to what he believes is a true religion. Its "prophet" is Karl Marx, and among its "apostles" were Friedrich Engels, Vladimir Ilytch Yulianov, Iosif Vissarionovich Dzhugashvili, (the last 2 of whom, like Peter, changed their names)...

@righteousmomma

Define phony.

Point being is there such a thing as a phony theology? Words matter.

A phony theology as meant in this context, I believe, means a theology that takes a traditional theology which is well-understood and turns it on its head in ways that are clearly contradictory to its teachings.

I don't think that the author was looking to debate the merits of which is the "true" religion here, Valin.

righteousmomma

@righteousmomma

Define phony.

Point being is there such a thing as a phony theology? Words matter.

Define "phony"? In what context?

As used here by Santorum? Or the definitions of phony and theology?

Words do matter and I am not sure of your words' intentions here, VAlin.

Point being is there such a thing as a phony theology?

Most definitely and I am surprised that you don't know that.

@alsimmons good responses and I agree with you.

Regardless though it might be good for me to say here that imo both Obama and his theology are phonies - self serving and hypocritical with phony humanistic doctrine.