Time for Newt to Do the Honorable Thing

Geee

time-for-newt-to-do-the-honoraAmerican Spectator:

About a week after his surprising victory in the South Carolina primary, Newt Gingrich did an interview with ABC News, most of which he devoted to complaints about the tactics Mitt Romney was using against him in Florida: "We have not been as effective in telling the truth as he has been in running ads… which have had to be pulled because they were so inaccurate." His most notable remark, however, was a thinly veiled hint that Rick Santorum, who at that time had failed to gain any momentum from his caucus win in Iowa, should drop out of the race for the GOP presidential nomination: "The conservatives clearly are rejecting Romney. He is nowhere near getting a majority.… The fact is, when you combine the Santorum vote and the Gingrich vote... the conservative combined would clearly beat Romney."

Santorum failed to heed the former Speaker's suggestion, of course, and it's unlikely that he regrets that decision. He has since won three more upset victories in Missouri, Colorado, and Minnesota. Santorum now ranks second in delegates and trounces Mitt Romney in the latest national survey conducted by Public Policy Polling (PPP): "Rick Santorum has opened up a wide lead in PPP's newest national poll. He's at 38% to 23% for Mitt Romney, 17% for Newt Gingrich, and 13% for Ron Paul." PPP has thus anointed Santorum the "consensus conservative candidate." Meanwhile, Gingrich has floundered. He has not merely failed to add any fresh victories to his single South Carolina win, his showings in the most recent state contests correspond with the percentage he received in the PPP poll.

The survey also shows Santorum beating Gingrich by large margins among "very conservative" Republicans as well as Tea Partiers and Evangelicals. Even more ominously, PPP speculates as follows about the nature of the GOP race absent the former Speaker: "If Gingrich dropped out 58% of his supporters say they would move to Santorum, while 22% would go to Romney and 17% to Paul. Santorum gets to 50% in the Newt free field to 28% for Romney." And it gets worse. PPP released a survey yesterday showing Santorum pulling ahead in the upcoming Michigan primary, with Newt coming in dead last. "Rick Santorum's taken a large lead in Michigan's upcoming Republican primary. He's at 39% to 24% for Mitt Romney, 12% for Ron Paul, and 11% for Newt Gingrich."Scissors-32x32.png

@Geee

Santorum is, in fact, the only GOP contender left who constitutes a genuinely conservative alternative to a president whose statist vision of America's future will transform us into a European-style social democracy. Moreover, he brings another attribute to the table that none of his competitors can offer.

4 words com to mind, Give..Me..A..Break.

Neither should drop out, but I think Gingrich brought this on himself by calling for Santorum to get out when Gingrich was ahead. You live by the sword, you die by the sword.

I actually think Romney got this right when rather than calling for people to get out, he said that a hearty primary prepared us for the fight.

Wish he'd speak with that much conviction on other subjects.

@Valin, he sounds like he got hoisted on his own petard.

This did not make me like him any more. In fact, it shows exactly what I don't like about him. He sounds whiney. It grates on me. His content isn't bad, but his attitude is just...icky to me.

I've tried to like him, really I have. I just find the man intensely dislikable. INTENSELY.

At this point I don't think Newt should drop out -- even though the National Review cam out for him to drop out. I wish Perry had not drop out. This 3--ops 4 man race as it keeps on going will end sooner or later by then we will know much more about Mittens, Santorum, Newt. --ops and Paul.elephant.gif